Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the cold of winter do I need to start my smart and let it warm up? And also if I start my smart and go back in the house will the doors lock? And how well do the heated seats and heater work? And are the mirrors heated?

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
In the cold of winter do I need to start my smart and let it warm up? And also if I start my smart and go back in the house will the doors lock? And how well do the heated seats and heater work? And are the mirrors heated?

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

- No special starting or warm-up procedure is needed.
- The car will only lock itself if you use the remote to unlock it and then fail to open the door.
- The heated seats are quite good, and are some of the quickest to warm up that I've come across (only my Boxster was quicker). The heater is also very effective, in my opinion.
- Mirrors are heated if you have a Passion or Brabus

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Mirrors are always heated,

The seats heat up quickly if you have heated seats and will cover you for the couple of Min it takes for the car to heat up.
I wouldn't waste the gas on more than a 60 second warm up, the cabin will heat faster if the car is driving.

Rule of thumb, If your but isn't in the seat, don't leave the key in the car.
There is no need to let a modern car warm up for 5 min or more, it's a waste of gas and polution.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I wouldn't let it warm up for more than 5mins just didn't want to start it in the dead cold an start to drive right away
This is actually what is the recommended procedure. Start it, let it sit for ~ 30 seconds - and then drive away slowly. The engine will warm up faster this way.

Good rule of thumb - when you hear the fan that helps light off the catalyst turn off (the vacuum cleaner sounding thing) - you are ready to go.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
...your engine wear occurs at star up, is accelerated by the lack of good warming procedures...5 min is a good time for the fluids to come up to temperature...

jetfuel.....just me...YMMV

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
In the cold I would move almost right away but avoid pushing it hard for the first few miles, giving time for the whole engine/transmission to warm up a bit, for the lubricants to reach a more fluid state. Then, all is loose.
If the key is in the car, either the windows are down or I'm in it. Just a precaution against an oddball interference that would lock it... Even when I'm washing it! :wink:

·
Banned
5,086 Posts

Jeremy
Did smart center Easton not do a 'walk around' with you at delivery? After all the kudos you gave them, I can't believe they left out THIS very important part of the delivery process.

They should have walked you around your smart, showing you each and every option you have and how they operate, not to mention all the standard features. Joe at SCI did this for us and and when we rolled off the showroom floor, we knew everything we had on the car and how to operate it. I'll not go into 'if you have this or don't'......you can check your Window Sticker if you kept it and see how your car is equipped.

But if your smart center didn't do the 'walk around' as I mentioned, I think they owe you one and maybe you should drop by and see them.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
LOL...... mine was either the 6th, or 9th, delivered out of Easton. While they were as polite and helpful as can be, basically at that point I got " Here are the keys". But then, I can read, and the manual was right behind the passenger seat. How hard can it be? (how long does it take to warm up a panda?????)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Since the engine wear is accelerated when the engine is not at operating temperature, the only sensible thing to do is drive off immediately, to shorten the length of the warm-up period. Shift early and don't boot it until the car is up to the usual operating temp.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
That is, 5 mins of slow easy driving. Idling a car to warm it up isn't that effective.
This I can confirm via Scangauge. 10 minutes of idling or 2 minutes of slow neighborhood street driving (take the back roads for those 2 minutes) get the engine up to the same temp. The 2 mins of slow driving get tranny fluids moving; best not to take a cold tranny right onto 40mph traffic. Circle a parking lot or take a side road for a minute or two. If it feels gutless on the main road, you're probably punching it too early and aging the drivetrain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts