Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I won't be getting an EV anytime soon until the range is improved. I don't think smart is planning on improving this range on the new model coming out soon. They figure an urban car doesn't need that big of a range. So for now, I will stick to the polluting gas model. Tesla seems to have the technology needed for getting people to consider switching to EV no matter how far you drive to work. Once their price becomes more affordable, this will likely be the model for me but I love driving my new 2016 smart so much I would hate to give it up for a larger car.

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
These road trip experiences make one thing crystal clear, you folks in the North and especially Canada are EV pioneers!

Those of us in milder climes truly don't have a clue as to what cold degradation can do to cause your range anxiety to PUCKER!

Then too, this demonstrates just how weak our charge station infrastructure is outside the CARB influenced regions. ALL politics aside, here's hoping that the EV revolution continues to grow into a truly viable option.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,307 Posts
I just read an article on another forum that Cars2Go is phasing out their smart EV fleet for gas cars in San Diego. May well be a good time to buy an EV at a really low price.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I won't be getting an EV anytime soon until the range is improved.
Well it will be improving a lot very soon. The Chevy Bolt will go on sale this fall - 320 km range, US$35K before govt. rebates. It's larger than a Smart or even a Chevy Spark for sure, but still in the compact category. The Tesla Model III with comparable in range and size class but they hope to undercut Chevy's price a bit - also coming out this fall.

But plans may change unless the price of gasoline gets back up there. Pray (or whatever you do) for higher oil prices. The added bonus is that it will also strengthen the Loonie and make the car cheaper for you all up there.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes range anxiety is a real issue up here when it is cold, but that's when I take our other car if I need to go a little further. And if it snows or has snowed, the Munchkin stays tucked away snug as a bug in our garage. No snow tires or winter abuse for my baby. :)

It has all of 4400 km on it since being on the road last July. I know, that isn't a lot of km's, but then I'm not as active as I used to be since I retired. However it always puts a smile on my face EVERY TIME I drive it. The other car sits outside and any time I need to go out I ask that it be moved so I can take the Smart.

Of course I always get - take my car. But unless it's snowy I won't. I use the excuse that it's much cheaper to use mine, which is true, rather than confessing that my car is way more fun to drive. And I love all those stoplights!:wink:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
We just took Tesloop to Las Vegas and back. While we were informed there would be a quick approximately 30 minute stop at the Barstow supercharging station, we did not know a 5 minute stop at the Primm supercharger would be utilized on the trip there. On the way back we were watching the range display, and a stop at Primm for about 10 minutes, then Barstow for between 45 minutes to and hour, were done. This was in an 85D model. I guess there is a 90kW model available with greater range, but..... Sadly my wife complained of discomfort in the back captains' seat, (no center seat, just a fixed console).

The driver on the way back expressed interest in an electric vehicle purchase, and I mentioned the Bolt, that it was coming out soon, but with the caveat that it wouldn't be able to use the Tesla supercharger network to charge on such a trip to Las Vegas.

EVs take a special type of person it seems....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts