Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. today I officially put up my 451 Brabus for the winter, seeing as snow is forecast for tomorrow as well as this coming Thursday. It's been in the garage for about a week already, but today I put it on a trickle/float battery charger.

No I did not disconnect the battery, just used alligator clips on the terminals. I have charged motorcycles well over 20 years without disconnecting the battery, and all was always well, even with the late models having electronic ignition.

I was surprised to see how big the battery was, expecting to see a lawnmower size one, and it was further up in the footwell that I thought too.

Access was fairly easy peeling back the floor carpet and easing out the black styrofoam battery cover. The air pump and can of fix a flat was still in place as it should have been in a new car. So another duty done before hard winter sets in here up in Maine.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Snow is not an issue, provided it's not more than 3 or 4 inches deep and you have real winter tires, not the M&S rated ones. All seasons are OK as long as you are on plowed roads and keep to reasonable speeds. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Don't use no-season tires!
I have Conti TS800 in stock size on my 451 ED. Takes my steep driveway as well as the girlfriends Subaru. Just disable the ESP and take it slow.

·
Banned
844 Posts
i just got General Altimax RT43's and was fine in 3 inches of snow yesterday. but they don't come in sizes smaller than 185/55R15's, the stock Conti's SUCK, they were ok when new for one winter, but the RT43's and regular snow tires are much better.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had a set of Blizzak's on my 451 when i had it, and that thing handled snow probably better than some 4x4's. Would go up my brothers snow and ice covered steep winding dirt road easier than his pickup truck in 4wd. Was even able to drive it on our road when it was a solid sheet of ice. And i'm talking SOLID... like 2 inches of nothing but ice solid, since our stupid township decides to plow our road every once in a while, and put some salt down in between.aaaaaaaaaaaa

Probably gonna get a pair of Blizzak's for the rear of my 453 for this winter. Wish they had something for the front... but with such an odd tire size....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a set of Blizzak's on my 451 when i had it, and that thing handled snow probably better than some 4x4's. Would go up my brothers snow and ice covered steep winding dirt road easier than his pickup truck in 4wd. Was even able to drive it on our road when it was a solid sheet of ice. And i'm talking SOLID... like 2 inches of nothing but ice solid, since our stupid township decides to plow our road every once in a while, and put some salt down in between.aaaaaaaaaaaa

Probably gonna get a pair of Blizzak's for the rear of my 453 for this winter. Wish they had something for the front... but with such an odd tire size....
Late reply I know. But I use a Subaru in the winter, gets me where I need to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts