Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in for its first safety inspection today and had to replace the wipers. I figured that I'd just get it done rather than go buy them myself and make a return trip to get the inspection completed. Figured "how bad could it be?" Wow - I was shocked to see that each one was $20 - should have asked for the price before saying to just go ahead and replace them. Did a little looking online and the part # is 451 820 00 45. MSRP is in the mid to upper 40's for the pair as far as I could tell. Looks like the inserts are not replaceable although I haven't seriously examined them or operated on them yet. Anyone find a cheaper solution?

Len
2014 EV

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I use the Bosch ICON blades. They aren't cheap, but they are of good quality and they're readily available.
I'm sure there are others available out there of varying quality and price.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
Wiper Blades - there's a reason they are part of the "safety inspection" and you get what you pay for . . .

At the end of the day a DECENT pair for smart will run you $30 - 35.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been a long time since I replaced an entire wiper arm. I was shocked at the price, but at least you guys made me feel better that I wasn't ripped off too bad. On my other Mercedes I only have to replace the insert for a whole lot less. Took a quick look at the OE blades and it doesn't look like it's possible to replace just the insert, at least I haven't figured out how yet.

Len

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are Sokoloff. I just had my yearly inspection and I need to replace my wipers. I combed the forum and there were so many suggestions and the older posts probably listed blades that may or may not be available yet. It seems EVERYONE has a preference for brand and there are no clear cut winners. I stll haven't decided. I know it's not a life or death solution but if you've got to spend $40 on a set, you want them to last for more than a few months if possible.
I decided to try my windshield washer the other day at a stop light and ended up washing the windshield of the car in the lane next to me. Talk about embarrasing. I also tried my rear washer and it works too, but now my washer tank leaks out the washer fluid, so I can't win, but I did get those pesky washer nozzles adjusted after running a gallon of fluid through the tank. They're harder to get adjusted because there is so much pressure they splash everywhere. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
But wait, ca smartone lives in Cali where it never rains? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I use Bosch Icon (all our cars have them).....22 OE for the passnger side and 24 OE for the driver side. Just got them last week for the trip to outsmarting the Dragon. They ran me about $25 each .

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good discussion guys - thanks for the input. I don't feel too bad now about getting whacked $20 each for mine.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Costco for hybrid style, (Goodyear Branded) $7.xx. Doesn't seem to work so well on the driver's side but it may be time for replacement. (There is a little rainbow shaped are that the wiper doesn't press against towards the top). Again, could be due for replacement. We get so little rain here. Second choice would be Sam's Club, $10.xx for the (Optix) beam style blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I should read carefully before I post. That's an even better price on those Champion beam style blades....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Now 21" is out of stock!

Did anyone notice/measure if the OE driver side blade is actually closer to 21" than 22"? (The reason I ask is that for some strange reason I kept the old blade and not throw it out. When I measured it it was just a tiny bit longer than 21", definitely closer to 21" than 22".

I must confess when they start to shudder on the windshield I usually just change the one I suspect is causing the issue, and not go ahead and replace both at the same time. That's how I knew it was from the driver side. The passenger side was still the original.)

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
On my cars with a lot of windshield to cover, I often bought wiper blades 1" shorter than called for, just to save money. Or the OEM length wasn't available outside a dealer. 1" difference means about 1/2" on each end. So that was always good for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts