Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice.
Currently, I have two issues with my reservoir, no cap and 2 lovely holes. I could potentially repair the holes as I have waterproof putty, but I've been searching for a suitable cap.
Dealership is asking $47 for just a replacement (no hoses).
Not sure if I should replace the whole thing or patch the holes and keep it moving....

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
$47 for the reservoir, or just the cap? I say putty the holes, ceran sp? Wrap and rubber band it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$47 for the reservoir, or just the cap? I say putty the holes, ceran sp? Wrap and rubber band it...

for the reservoir with a cap on it. i originally went in, thinking i could just get the cap. they don't sell it separately.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It's a real simple cap, snap on type. I wanted to make sure there were no heater lines coming out of it. Just putty it up for now and I've used ceran wrap with a rubber band before, while I waited for a new cap. Be sure you mix in anti freeze fluid so it doesn't freeze and crack more! I use Ford stuff to be honest. I mix it really concentrated to make sure.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Just checked with the EPC. I'm afraid it's true the whole reservoir comes as one piece and there is no separate part number for the cap. Here's the number A 451 860 02 60. When searching online you can usually omit the letter and spaces.

I used my VIN, if you'd like me to verify it is the same for yours I can?

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fluid freezing is never a problem for me since the temp doesn't stay cold enough in Houston. literally, today it's 72. jzchen, i believe that is the part number, i wrote it down when i went to the dealership. i will definitely search. as for how it happened.... not sure, the owner i bought it from didn't know it was there, so i was able to haggle the price down a little more since i may have to replace.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
fluid freezing is never a problem for me since the temp doesn't stay cold enough in Houston. literally, today it's 72. jzchen, i believe that is the part number, i wrote it down when i went to the dealership. i will definitely search. as for how it happened.... not sure, the owner i bought it from didn't know it was there, so i was able to haggle the price down a little more since i may have to replace.

That's nice to know, both that the weather is mild there and that the dealer let you have the part number. (Sometimes they don't). It hit 74 here the other day but in the morning two or three of these past days I could swear there was frozen ice on the cars. I had to use the fluid to try to wipe it off when I drove my son to school in the smart. (Reminded me to remind others of the freezing possibility and issues related to that).

I see many parts for smarts on the car-part site. Might be able to get a cap from one of them, say if you get another smart part, which maybe makes it worth their effort to as well look for one while they're at it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
On an interesting note looks like the previous owner took care of your car with OE coolant, the good, expensive stuff.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Water, dish soap and a bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol works as windshield washer fluid. It's just clear instead of blue. Alcohol is what keeps the fluid from freezing both in the commercially made stuff as well as the homemade. Of course this may remove wax from the waxed areas of your Smartie, if you are worried about this, don't use this concoction. I myself would spray it on the windshield through the OEM windshield washer system, and not on any waxed surface, (again of you are worried). Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Back in 1987 I had a Pontiac Grand Am. The washer bottle had a weak spot down at the bottom and kept cracking where it bolted to the fender well. I took a hot glue gun with the best hi temp glue stick and proceeded to fill the bottom of the tank. The hot glue adhered to the plastic. I never had a problem after that. If you can get some metallic tape behind it. You may be able to fill in the hole from the top. If you can get the glue gun into the fill hole you may be able to fill the edge reinforcing the tank from the inside .

It be worth a try. Glue sticks aren't that expensive. If you don't have a glue gun they're only about eight dollars at the craft store. I used the large glue sticks not the small ones. I believe there's only two different sizes.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
How does the washer resovoir split the feed to front and back glass? Does it have a pump made on the resovior for the front glass and then a separate hose to feed out to a pump in the back for the back glass? Mine has started leaking out about 75% of the washer fluid all of a sudden as it was sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
How does the washer resovoir split the feed to front and back glass? Does it have a pump made on the resovior for the front glass and then a separate hose to feed out to a pump in the back for the back glass? Mine has started leaking out about 75% of the washer fluid all of a sudden as it was sitting in the garage.
Just looked at the EPC diagram the other day, and only noticed one pump. (I'll have to look at it more carefully again. I also used it a few days prior.) Bare with me, it's the last day of school for my son and I'm supposed to go help. Also got to prep for a busy week ahead, besides we are both under the weather...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Just peeked into EPC. There is only one pump, at the reservoir. There are references to two harnesses, (read sounds very expensive), for the tubing to the back of the car. Hopefully jetfuel's solution is good if the leak is along that way. Possibly the tank cracked????

A 451 540 92 33 *
A 451 540 29 08 *

I use Ford/Motorcraft ZC-32-A1 fluid to prevent freezing, 1 washer fluid : 2 water volume ratio. But sadly I checked and it's been discontinued.

* May be VIN specific!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Water, dish soap and a bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol works as windshield washer fluid. It's just clear instead of blue. Alcohol is what keeps the fluid from freezing both in the commercially made stuff as well as the homemade.
Dish soap is good for removing wax from your car too. Not sure you want that in your WW fluid?

Len
2014 EV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts