Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone had or heard of problems with the rain sensing wiper feature?

About 50% - 75% of the time my wipers behave erratically when they are on auto.

Specifically they go through a wipe pattern that seems very much like a reset algorithm:

One slow wipe
Three fast wipes
Three decreasingly slow wipes

<pause>

One slow wipe

<repeat>

This usually happens in light rain; although it has happened in heavy rain. It has never happened in dry conditions. As I indicated above, about 25% - 50% of the time they behave as you would expect and only come on when needed (whether slow or fast).

I took the car into the dealer two days ago and they replaced the sensor (hockey puck) unit. Unfortunately, it happened again this morning when it rained.

The mechanic said he was going to research the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same behavior here, though I would say it's only happened occasionally. Seems to be a particular type of light rain that confuses it. Also I've found that with a little patience it often settles down to a reasonable rhythm after a few swipes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
it all depends on the speed of the car and how fast the water hit the wind shiled... hence going from light to light it will speed up and then slow down when you come to a light.. well at least thats how my auto wipers work on my GS300

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have that feature, and have yet to use it. The first Saturday after I got my car, I washed and waxed it. Then applied Rain-X to the windshield, so I don't even have to use my wipers at all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
mine did the same when I 1st got it then it has stopped ,mine does come on for one wipe 1st thing in the morning ,so does the back one when I put it into reverse,I have rain sensing wipers on mt E320 also ,they will come on when the sun is shining ,and when there is morning dew ,they run for 10 minutes like it a heavy thunder storm

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Same behavior here, though I would say it's only happened occasionally. Seems to be a particular type of light rain that confuses it. Also I've found that with a little patience it often settles down to a reasonable rhythm after a few swipes.
I agree with you 100% I have no complaints on mine. Just takes a second to settle no biggie for me because it gets the job done.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think the manual indicates not to leave the wipers in auto as it is possible to scratch the windows as they may have dirt particles on them and running a wiper on a dry windshield or back window can do damage. Ask me how I know

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Mine work properly in ligh to heavy rain

I too live in a super hot sunny area and am accostomed to a new blade set every year in prep for rainy season... thus, my problem is..... the proprietary blades at $40+/- a set

·
Registered
97 Posts
it all depends on the speed of the car and how fast the water hit the wind shiled... hence going from light to light it will speed up and then slow down when you come to a light.. well at least thats how my auto wipers work on my GS300
I agree with Smart09 -

the autosensor is much smarter than we are. It adjusts the rate of wiping in proportion to both the rain amount and your speed. So, while we are used to the wipers continuing to swipe while we are stopped at a light, these auto wipers will stop while you are stopped.

Personally, it bugs me! I like the windshield to be clear of drops even when I am not moving.

If you don't like it, you can just switch it into a manual setting.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
This may be too manual for you, if so disregard

I agree with Smart09 -

the autosensor is much smarter than we are. It adjusts the rate of wiping in proportion to both the rain amount and your speed. So, while we are used to the wipers continuing to swipe while we are stopped at a light, these auto wipers will stop while you are stopped.

Personally, it bugs me! I like the windshield to be clear of drops even when I am not moving.

I flick the stalk to off and back on and it gives you a wipe while stopped and you want a clear look. I also shut them off when I shut off the car just so I get in the habit. I really like how they adjust to conditions.
karl

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When it starts raining, i put them on auto. I have had no problems with mine.
I actually like the feature and so far I have not had to use the higher speeds.
I have noticed that the delay can change even when the coditions haven't, but it seems to settle down quick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with Smart09 -

The reason for this post is not to comment on wipers that work, but instead to see if there is an inherent design issue with the rain-sensing mechanism in these brand new US models.

(And I definitely will *not* be switching to manual to avoid something that's broken on my less-than-four-month-old vehicle).

There are two other respondants who indicate that they have seen this behaviour (although it doesn't seem to bother them).

My car has a problem at least 50% of the time. Even if Daimler-Mercedes indicates that the odd reset-like pattern is normal, the car still has a problem because it exhibits this pattern only half of the time.

If anyone else encounters the following sequence in your wipers, please consider notifying your dealer. Since they are new to these models also, the mechanics hold teleconferences to discuss these types of issues amongst themselves. If we all decide to just live with the problem, they'll never even be aware of it.

Here is the pattern that you might see:

About 50% - 75% of the time my wipers behave erratically when they are on auto.

Specifically they go through a wipe pattern that seems very much like a reset algorithm:

One slow wipe
Three fast wipes
Three decreasingly slow wipes

<pause>

One slow wipe

<repeat sequence>

Matt

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wiper issue: wiper fluid

The problem that I'm having isn't with the sensor (my car doesn't have that option) but with the wiper fluid. It shoots in V-shape streams from both spots, but the timing and force of the liquid combine to make the application of the fluid pretty useless. It either does nothing, or it leaves streaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My car did same thing.. wierd wiper pattern, i dont like it.

HELP, Hello there all, we finally got rain in san diego last night. so i could test my auto wipers. Does anybodys do this too? I was driving with auto on, on the freeway the wipers go slow then fast, or paused then go fast, then pause. Then when stopped at a night, the wipers paused, then start going very fast then pause. At a slow speed under 20 mph the wipers are going very fsat, high speed. I know they might be speed sensored but this is crazy. They go slow when going fast... and pause when driving fast.. then at light stopped, the wipers are going fastest speed.

Anyone else having the same problem? or is something wrong with my wipers? AS most of you know san diego doesnt get much rain here.. so took till now to really see how they work

thanks
mike

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine work properly in ligh to heavy rain

I too live in a super hot sunny area and am accostomed to a new blade set every year in prep for rainy season... thus, my problem is..... the proprietary blades at $40+/- a set
Based on all the chatter about the rain sensitive wipers I'm glad I didn't get them... I'll check on the wiper blades, a buddy of mine recognized them instantly (he works for a large auto parts supplier sourcing parts to replace OEM blades, filters, and other components). He named what they were like they were somewhat common.

Someone PM me in a few days if I forget to ask him or post what they are...

·
Registered
968 Posts
HELP, Hello there all, we finally got rain in san diego last night. so i could test my auto wipers. Does anybodys do this too? I was driving with auto on, on the freeway the wipers go slow then fast, or paused then go fast, then pause. Then when stopped at a night, the wipers paused, then start going very fast then pause. At a slow speed under 20 mph the wipers are going very fsat, high speed. I know they might be speed sensored but this is crazy. They go slow when going fast... and pause when driving fast.. then at light stopped, the wipers are going fastest speed.

Anyone else having the same problem? or is something wrong with my wipers? AS most of you know san diego doesnt get much rain here.. so took till now to really see how they work

thanks
mike
Mine were working perfect last night. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,554 Posts
I'm guessing it's the trail of water "mist" on the windshield after the wiper passes. Particularly at slow speeds when the water isn't completely squeegeed off, the humid air doesn't move fast enough across the windshield to evaporate the fine leftover droplets quickly enough and the sensor thinks there must be a sudden deluge of rain.

I most often don't run in auto mode or switch out of auto when the wipers start having a mind of their own.

I'd prefer a more "intelligent" system, indeed. But sometimes it works fine.

·
Administrator
29,525 Posts
The problem that I'm having isn't with the sensor (my car doesn't have that option) but with the wiper fluid. It shoots in V-shape streams from both spots, but the timing and force of the liquid combine to make the application of the fluid pretty useless. It either does nothing, or it leaves streaks.
Owners Manual, page 264 - adjusting the washer jet nozzles. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts