Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem that just popped up with my wiper switch. When I set it to "Auto," it works fine for a short time, but after less than a minute, it goes into the slow speed and shortly after that it goes into the fast speed. The problem only seems to happen when it is set to "Auto." Each of the other switch positions seem to work correctly. Any thoughts? The problem is on the cabriolet BTW.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,000 miles

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wiper blades original or aftermarket? I kept the originals because I was slightly irritated with aftermarket length not quite the same. Maybe just wiping the “eye” partially or something similar...

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still the original blades.

Len

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I had the windshield replaced in my wife's Smart, the installer told me that sometimes if the replacement windshield is too thick, the sensor can't see the raindrops, or can't see them very well and the automatic mode doesn't work, or works poorly. Did you possibly get a new windshield? IF you didn't, is your sensor possibly becoming detached from the glass? Did you maybe get a small rock chip in the windshield where the sensor is? Light could be refracting and confusing the sensor. The only other crazy idea I have is to REALLY well clean the windshield where the sensor is.

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original windshield. I'll check your other suggestions, but I'm leaning to there being an issue with the switch itself. It's likely a warranty issue, but with the dealer a 12 hour ride away including charging stops, I may just decide to live with it.

Len

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
If your inclination is switch, swap switches with the other ED? Then once confirmed look into warranty swap, maybe without having to lose a day of your life, ie. by mail....

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good suggestion Jesse. Anyone know how involved removing and swapping the switches would be? If it turns out to be the switch, I'd be shocked if Smart/Mercedes would honor a warranty replacement without seeing the car, but it might be worth a try. My other option is to always drive the coupe when it rains. :)

Len

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Good suggestion Jesse. Anyone know how involved removing and swapping the switches would be? If it turns out to be the switch, I'd be shocked if Smart/Mercedes would honor a warranty replacement without seeing the car, but it might be worth a try. My other option is to always drive the coupe when it rains.

Len, “you’ve got mail!”

Good point about the warranty. When I started having trouble with the Nav intermittently not responding to screen touches, I brought it to the dealer, the one I purchased her from meaning 1 1/2 hours away. They swapped it out even though they did not confirm the symptom, (the SA said he knows I have better things to do than to drive that long)....

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, here are some questions for you. Keep in mind that the coupe has a rear wiper, but that the cabriolet does not. Not sure if the switches are the same or not. Look at these part numbers though.

Cabriolet - shows both 451 545 05 10 and 451 905 03 00 with a note for the 905 number as trip computer. Were there cars that came without the instrument cluster trip computer screen option?

Coupe - shows both 451 545 04 10 and 452 905 04 00 with the same note for the 905 number.

Typically with Mercedes the second to the last two digits (the 03, 04, 05) indicate an updated part, i.e. the 05 replaces the 04, etc. That doesn't seem to hold here with one part number on the cabriolet updated from the coupe and one from the coupe updated from the cabriolet? BTW, the cabriolet had a newer VIN than the coupe.

I suppose my questions will all be answered when/if I pull the old part out, because it should have a part number on it.

Here is a nice pdf on doing this job and others in the area:

http://www.cubefx.com/smart/CruiseControlV5..pdf

Len

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Oh, shoot! Never had a cabrio, ever. That’s most likely a different switch, unless the little lever at the end functions for something else or is just a dummy in the cabrio.....

So sorry!

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoot - no need to be sorry. It never occurred to me either until I started doing some research. The cabriolet wiper switch doesn't have the "click" position that the coupe does for starting the rear wiper. it looks like the switches may be different. This almost makes me curious enough to do the job. - almost. :)

Len

1 - 12 of 12 Posts