Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite excited about the possibility of this idea. Although it is still only for Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt owners...

A group called Plugless Power is making wireless pads for EVs. The charge time is said to be up to 8 hours for either vehicle.

I don't think of myself as lazy so much as an engineer. But if given the option to charge my ED without with almost no interaction, rather than having to plug / unplug. I'll take the former. And to boot I would feel less uneasy about leaving an adapter laying about.

I was all for promoting charging stations and I still am. But I will now begin pushing this as an alternative.

It does require some vehicle modification to use.

Article: Coming Soon: Standards for Wireless Electric Car Charging | PluginCars.com

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Three problems with this:

1. The power transfer is really crappy. You lose 20% to 80% of the power put in, depending on the tech used. (The newest tech requires very close proximity, and is much more expensive.
  2. There are already at least 6 different wireless power transfer systems out there, all with different protocols, meaning you have the same problem there as with plugin.
  3. Not only do you need to mod the vehicle, but the little power mats have to be close to charger brick on the modded car. This means if you have different models of cars, you may have to park them differently, or move the mat a lot, vs just having a reasonable size cord on a plugin charger. For commercial charge stations, you'd have to cover the full under area of the car to insure you're going to hit the right spot.
Also, they cost a lot more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Would rather plug in.
It's beyond easy. I hated gassing up my SUV in the snow storm yesterday, cold and miserable. Minutes outside with silly user interface on the pump, credit validation, etc and then pump for multiple minutes with smell of gas on me and then get in and attempt to merge back into traffic from stop. Incredible inconvenient!

A 10 second procedure to plug in when I park at night is truly revolutionary and a pleasure as I am within a climate controlled environment with a simple procedure that works every time. (I've never been told by my Smart ED to "visit the cashier" :D)

Wireless charging is laughable improvement IMHO, as it takes so little time to plug in, and I don't charge every night, perhaps 3-4 times per week at my current rate of usage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts