Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked today about the "known wobble issue in the Smart chassis due to the electric power steering" on an RV forum today. Before I reply with huh? what chassis wobble? Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Barb

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Barb, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the electric power steering. Kermit has probably had the most experience with this topic and posted pics of how to use a bungee attached to the driver's seat frame near the floor on each side of the seat and threaded through the steering wheel to simply encourage the smart steering wheel to self center after a turn. This eliminates the back and forth wander that you are describing.
Most smarts do not have power steering, but with or without, the bungee helps from what I've read. The electric power steering is only active when the engine is running, so it is not antagonistic when the engine is off while being towed.
I think it is more an issue of the light weight of the smart itself and its steering gear. Even without power steering the smart is quite easy to steer even at low speeds and in parking lots when maneuvering slowly.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/34-bungee-cord-steering-while-flat-towing-43997/#post516506

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that what they are talking about? I thought it was something disastrous. Geeez

Thanks, now I can reply without the Huh?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts