Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day driving to work and I was listening to the sound.

Is the sound the car makes generated for pedestrians or is the actual sound of the motor?

It's louder outside than in the cabin.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is a speaker behind the grill that generates a noise from 0 to 45mph,
It's more like a whining noise in my opinion, some folks here have disconnected it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There is a speaker behind the grill that generates a noise from 0 to 45mph,
It's more like a whining noise in my opinion, some folks here have disconnected it.
My bigger complaint is that it often interferes with AM radio reception. Not a happy thing given the low quality of AM reception already thanks to a totally internal antenna.

Of note: Cars model 2014 or later are required to have these by law. Older cars are grandfathered in. However, I'm pretty sure disconnecting one, even in earlier year models, is technically against the law.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The noise generator is supposed to be located behind the right headlamp, but I have not confirmed this. It is there as a pedestrian avoidance system. The car is basically silent without it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I disabled the sound box on mine. The car still has a motor whine which sounds like a spaceship and it is significantly quieter which i prefer but its not completely silent like a Model S.

I have had no issues with people not hearing the car. The LED DRL's also help with the car making minimal noise when people are around.

And if you think your car is too quiet when people are around then just crank up that stereo and pump that bass!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've actually scared the bejezus outta several people with my car
But I think it's more from the standpoint of a familiar sound, than from the particular sound that is emitted from the speaker. Even the most quiet luxury cars do have a particular noise that is distinct from other sounds.

But if a person is just not paying attention, only the most loud (muffler-less / modded) vehicles are going to force their awareness.

Two weeks ago I nearly creamed a bicyclist who was weaving through traffic that had stopped for a light. She was obviously attempting to get to the right-hand turn lane. But her technique was inappropriate. She was going perpendicular and she saw the space that I was slowing into, she jumped out without looking at the vehicle coming. I'm just glad my breaks are solid (since I so rarely use them).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she jumped out without looking at the vehicle coming.
That's why I have a dashcam installed on all of our cars. Too many cyclists and bad drivers in Atlanta. In the smart I'm thinking of installing rear and side cameras to record aggressive jerks as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That's why I have a dashcam installed on all of our cars. Too many cyclists and bad drivers in Atlanta. In the smart I'm thinking of installing rear and side cameras to record aggressive jerks as well.
I use a dashcam as well. I got one for about $60 on ebay that has both front and rear views. Started using it after I got t-boned by a driver who ran a stop sign, then claimed it was my fault.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use a dashcam as well. I got one for about $60 on ebay that has both front and rear views. Started using it after I got t-boned by a driver who ran a stop sign, then claimed it was my fault.
How is this dashcam working for you and what model did you get? What media does it use to record? SD card, how long does it record?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have three different ones. The latest, and one I like best, is a Mini 801. I have that one in two of our cars. It shoots 1080p, 30fps, mov file. I like the size, mounting, video quality and price (~$90). It has an optional GPS mount for about $10 more, but I usually don't find GPS that useful.

When mounted, you can't see it from the driver's seat at all.

You can buy it from Amazon with prime shipping or a little cheaper from eBay shipped from China. The first one I got shipped from China and took 3 weeks so getting it with Amazon Prime is great.

This person makes really good reviews:
Techmoan - Techmoan - The Mini 0801 - Tiny 1080p GPS Car Camera with an LCD*Screen

There are websites dedicated to Dashcams with their own forum if you want to get into the details. Dash Cam Talk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I left my home this morning, work bound...This older woman was walking in the middle of the street with a hood over her head, probably didn't hear me coming....I honked and scared the crap out of her. I LOL'ed. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts