Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Passion with 94,000 miles on it. It began idling rough with loss of power. Took it into the garage and it needs valve cover gasket and spark plug boots replaced. Discovered a rear break line was rusted and leaking. It’s gonna need front struts and brakes…the list goes on.
What sucks is I‘ve finally tricked out a good stereo in it and got an extra set of rear rims that I’ve put on the front. The repair estimate is $2300 or so. Am I crazy to repair it? My son thinks I am.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Do you enjoy the car? What can you buy for $2300 to replace it with? As Wahi states above get a 2nd opinion. But with the price of used cars today especially one that gets the kind of gas mileage a smart does and is as much fun as the smart I would get it repaired and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
Smart fortwo 451. 2012 petrol
61 Posts
Agree with all above! You could get rid and buy something else "BUT" that car could have hidden problems,.
At least with the Smart you know the car. Get some other quotes and hopefully you'll get a better deal.
If your Smart has been regularly serviced and driven sensibly it will probably be good for another 90,000.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Car maintance and repair is expensive. Personally I wouldn’t sink the much
money in a high mileage 14 year old car. You don’t know what else, is in need repair in the future. I’d
put good money in a better car.

Get a second repair estimate.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
989 Posts
welcome to the forum.

One thing that seems to stick out to me which I had to do to both my smarts not long after I got them was plugs.

When was the plugs changed?

If they haven’t been changed then yes they can make it idle rough.

Head gasket would be obvious with either blue or white smoke out the tail pipe.(also the car would throw misfire codes out the wahzoo) and it wouldn’t be a little bit of smoke either it would be heavy.
Valve cover gasket would only allow oil to escape from the around the base of the cover and not really affect the running of the engine.(aside from oil needing topped off ever so often)
Sounds like the shop is trying to pull one on you.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Car maintance and repair is expensive. Personally I wouldn’t sink the much
money in a high mileage 14 year old car. You don’t know what else, is in need repair in the future. I’d

Good Luck.
I agree with smark's above post.
Number one. Get a second repair estimate.
If that estimate comes back at about the same cost. Then you have a choice.
Sell it and put that money plus the cost of repair as a down payment on a different car.
Or
Get it repaired knowing you will never get your money out of it, resale wise. But you will have a vehicle to drive.
You're the only one who can decide whether it's worth it, to sink that amount money into your smart.
Finally, let's state the obvious.
14 year old smart with
almost 100,000 miles.
Here's what kbb states the marketplace value.
Line Font Circle Terrestrial plant Logo

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2008 Passion with 94,000 miles on it. It began idling rough with loss of power. Took it into the garage and it needs valve cover gasket and spark plug boots replaced. Discovered a rear break line was rusted and leaking. It’s gonna need front struts and brakes…the list goes on.
What sucks is I‘ve finally tricked out a good stereo in it and got an extra set of rear rims that I’ve put on the front. The repair estimate is $2300 or so. Am I crazy to repair it? My son thinks I am.
Where do you live? There are some pretty talented people out there working on Smart cars!
I would keep it, and find a more reasonable repair person.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The whole front brake job can be had for about $350 at a decent local shop. DIYers can get through with about $150 in parts (shoes and rotors). Spark plugs, you can go with the regular (cheaper, 35,000 miles) or the iridiums ($$,100,000 miles) if you are changing them yourself, isn't a biggie. A leaking gasket cover, like what was mentioned up there, is just a nuisance that can be done later. Springs and shocks, too, can wait until you have the budget unless broken. Brakeline problems are universal on any car, so it's not a big deal for a mechanic. I have replaced a brakeline on my Impreza myslef and while I had to bend my line manually, it worked. Just gotta have the right crescent wrench type for the job...

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Sure, you could do a lot of the maintenance and repairs. Cheaper then taking it to a auto shop.
Wrenched my own cars cars for years. Hundred dollars of tool, sitting in the garage.

Most owners don’t have the skills, to work on modern car. More unless replace brake lines, brakes, struts.Some folks have troubles replace the car light bulbs.

Again shop around auto service shop, get several quotes. You want to sink a lot
of money in a 14 year old. That just might be worth $3K in very good and mechanical
shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was in the same position last year, also with a 124,000 mile 2008 451. I sold it easily for $4500 and bought a low mileage ‘16 453. No regrets. The 453 resolves much of the 451s design issues, is way more responsive, better mileage, better transmission, has cruise control, better turning radius, and more without giving up it’s “Smartness”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
welcome to the forum.

One thing that seems to stick out to me which I had to do to both my smarts not long after I got them was plugs.

When was the plugs changed?

If they haven’t been changed then yes they can make it idle rough.

Head gasket would be obvious with either blue or white smoke out the tail pipe.(also the car would throw misfire codes out the wahzoo) and it wouldn’t be a little bit of smoke either it would be heavy.
Valve cover gasket would only allow oil to escape from the around the base of the cover and not really affect the running of the engine.(aside from oil needing topped off ever so often)
Sounds like the shop is trying to pull one on you.
I had a very rough idle and it was the engine mounts A lot less than 2K have them checked

·
Registered
78 Posts

Good Luck.
98k is not that much mileage for today's cars

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had very similar issue....It needed new spark plugs and tune up. So unless you have a bad blue or white smoke problem I would do the spark plugs and tune up. Can you or your son see the fuel line leaking? If not keep an eye on it, but postpone replacing it. KEEP the smart!!! I bought a new 1971 Honda Z600 coup. Biggest regret of my life was getting rid of it 10 years later. Get another quote, but don't tell them of all the issues the other told you . Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. I had the shop do thr brake line. One thing I didn’t want to tackle. I found sources for the parts I need on line iridium plugs; spark plug coils; gasket; I even found a 5/8” deep well socket with a “liner” to grip the plug; etc. After watching several online videos I know I can do it. I’ve got a bad back so I’ll have to pace myself. But, I know I can do it.
Regarding selling and replacing it, quite honestly, I can’t afford a car payment.
I want to thank one and all for the input. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Ok. I had the shop do thr brake line. .
Regarding selling and replacing it, quite honestly, I can’t afford a car payment.
I want to thank one and all for the input. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Honest question here.
Why didn't you include the above statment in your initial posting??

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The list for a used car will always go on. Brakes must be changed when ever needed. If you change the rear drums you may never replace them again as they are pretty low wear. So that's a non issue. The brake line must be replaced may not be the most expensive thing to do. Front struts can wait no sense fixing them until the car is running correctly. When you do get back to them more important will be weather your springs are broken but again leave the struts for now. So I think your immediate need is much less than 2300 dollar and the "woe is me" blues just have you down ..this is where "Cher" would slap you and say snap out of it. Fix brakes because you must but even that can wait until the rough idle and loss of power is sorted out. Only fix that for now nothing else for now . Start at the air filter cheap, spark plugs cheap, coil packs check because the may not be cheap, purge valve inexpensive, change over valve inexpensive. A full dose of fuel injection cleaner. If it's not smoothing out by then (should be under 500 bucks) then re evaluate the situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts