Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like your opinion as to whether or not to paint my 08 calipers and rear brake drums red or not. The car is white over black. I will be painting the rocker panels white along with the gas door, intake and still deciding on the front and rear valances.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Years ago a place I worked at would send MG Midget and AH Sprite calipers out to be chromed. They looked awesome. I’m looking to see if I can get a spare set of Smart calipers chromed, or at least polished. Paint doesn’t seem to last, based on my flaking red Brabus calipers.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,454 Posts
I got tired of the red paint flaking off the calipers when I took the tires/wheels off to clean them. About eight or nine years ago, I installed the red plastic "Brembo" covers on the front. I like them and no touch up required.

·
Registered
221 Posts
T
I got tired of the red paint flaking off the calipers when I took the tires/wheels off to clean them. About eight or nine years ago, I installed the red plastic "Brembo" covers on the front. I like them and no touch up required. View attachment 63091
They do look nice, but personally, I have an issue with the Brembo name on calipers that aren’t Brembos. I wish Brembo made calipers for the Smart. I’d buy a pair. They make discs, drums, and pads, all of which I’m looking at buying when I need brakes. Call me a stickler, I guess, when it comes to trademarks and such. I just dealt with what I believe was a counterfeit Brabus rim.

·
3,454 Posts
T

They do look nice, but personally, I have an issue with the Brembo name on calipers that aren’t Brembos. I wish Brembo made calipers for the Smart. I’d buy a pair. They make discs, drums, and pads, all of which I’m looking at buying when I need brakes. Call me a stickler, I guess, when it comes to trademarks and such. I just dealt with what I believe was a counterfeit Brabus rim.
I was just looking closely at the pic of your car in your avatar. Why would you put Brabus wheels on a Passion?

·
3,454 Posts
I love the look, where can I get them
Thank you for the compliment. I found them on eBay. They came from China and were about $16.00 for front and rear if I remember correctly. If you like the Brembo logo, be careful in your shopping. Some of the plastic caliper covers have the letters painted on. Mine have the raised letters which look better in my opinion. Good luck in your mod.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess it is kinda like putting a MB badge on the nose of a smart......
I was thinking the same thing, but it seems to be a touchy subject. lol

I have a Raytheon/Cadillac night vision unit that I want to try and install in the grille behind the chicken head. Figure it’ll be far more useful than a 3 point star.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was just looking closely at the pic of your car in your avatar. Why would you put Brabus wheels on a Passion?
It’s a Pure, actually, and the wheels are aftermarkets from Tire Rack. 6 inch all around. Didn’t care for the steel rims. My Brabus has Brabus rims. Not sure I understand the question though. Brabus rims were an option even without the rest of the package, from what I understand. If I could find another set, I’d pop them on the Pure in a heartbeat. My Brabus hugs the road like a slot car with the rims and tires. I just try and avoid potholes...

·
3,454 Posts
The Brabus wheels you mentioned as an option were not the same wheels as standard on the Brabus model. They were a $550.00 option and came in 4.5x15 front and 5.5x15 rear. They also had a raised bead on the edge of the rim, unlike the smooth to the edge Brabus wheels. They came on the Cocoa Brown model and were also an option for a couple of years on other cars. The 5.5x15 and 7.5x17 wheels were only offered as standard equipment on the US spec Brabus models. The Euro spec Brabus came with 5.5x16 front and 7.5x17 rear wheels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
"Why would you put Brabus wheels on a Passion?"

Because they fit... Not to many choices in 3 x 112 anymore.

Arguably the rarest Brabus wheel because they are for the Smart 450 and not anything MB:

17x8j ET -15 3x112

And I plan to put them on a 'Passion' 450 :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
"Why would you put Brabus wheels on a Passion?"

Because they fit... Not to many choices in 3 x 112 anymore.

Arguably the rarest Brabus wheel because they are for the Smart 450 and not anything MB:

17x8j ET -15 3x112

And I plan to put them on a 'Passion' 450 :)
The 7Jx18 with size 205/35 R 18 tires. Size 8.5Jx18 wheels with size 235/30 R 18 tires of the Brabus 120 might prove rare or at least had to get.
https://www.netcarshow.com/brabus/2012-ultimate_120/

·
Registered
725 Posts
Back to the paint,...... stay grey or go black on the rear drum, Hot orange for the front with hot orange valve stem caps, that same hot orange for an e-brake sleeve and shifter knob slip over, and Hot orange seat belt shoulder pads.

......... oh did i get carried away,...

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Brabus wheels you mentioned as an option were not the same wheels as standard on the Brabus model. They were a $550.00 option and came in 4.5x15 front and 5.5x15 rear. They also had a raised bead on the edge of the rim, unlike the smooth to the edge Brabus wheels. They came on the Cocoa Brown model and were also an option for a couple of years on other cars. The 5.5x15 and 7.5x17 wheels were only offered as standard equipment on the US spec Brabus models. The Euro spec Brabus came with 5.5x16 front and 7.5x17 rear wheels.
Thanks for the clarification on the difference there. I wasn't sure about the specs on the non-Brabus Brabus rims. It's amazing, the number of rim options that Smart had. I'm trying to put together a listing, for my own edification.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts