Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen those youtube vids where one can supposedly fix a small dent by first heating the dent with a hair dryer or heat gun then spraying with the supercold flow from an upside down canned air can. Works or not I don't know. But I think I see the theory involved. heat expands the dent or material, and then cold caused tension to "pop" the dent out.
Would the opposite work? freeze the dent (contracts) then heat the crap out of it and it would expand and then perhaps the magic "pop". I am skeptical about metal, but our smart panels...?

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
1. It will work with a torch and a cold water quench.
2. Hair dryer, canned air? Same concept, might work on light enough dent, did not work for me. I tried it on a car door I did not want to re-paint, dent is still there.
3. "Our" cars are plastic, they should not dent. Having said that, I do not have much experience with plastics. I would try heat and pressure to reshape a panel, but would order a replacement anyway. The beauty of the smart panels is that any one can be replaced for less than traditional metal work and paint cost.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My wife had a parking lot accident (emphasis on the dent) that put a dent in the rear fender I was able to pop the dent out but it left a light colored ring where the edge of the dent was, plus the clear coat lifted. The other person's insurance paid to replace the fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts