Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Definitely

Votes: 50 45.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
From someone who has a cdi and a gasser.

I stated maybe.

The diesel is no hell in cold weather but that can be combated a bit with heated seats. I have had no issue starting the car even below -30 degrees with just the glow plugs. At those temps my cdi will hardly keep the windows defrosted and my drive is 30 miles or so. To get more heat out of the car I would drive into work one gear lower, which negates fuel savings over a gas smart.

For a summer only vehicle it would be great for some drivers. City only drivers should not be sold a diesel it will be a maintenance nightmare.

Also if you are not willing to take it easy on start up to warm up the engine properly before working the engine harder or giving the turbo time to cool down before shutting the car off, you shouldn't have a diesel either because it will become more problematic than a gas version.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I also do most of my driving in city streets, most trips less than 5 miles.

I don't have the patience to baby sit the turbo.

Plus, I hope to not be damned to remain in Florida the rest of my life.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I live in TX, I would use it for commuting, I see NO show-stoppers for me. My 450 has a turbo already, the turbo is not a big deal. I also had a turbo on my 944. I LOVE turbos -- it's THE way to go! You will see many more cars with turbos going forward since it allows better mpg for the same peak HP as a NA car. ALL of the new Ford cars are comming with the eco-boost engines which are all turbocharged.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In a heart beat...

Owned many diesels in my lifetime...(MBenz; Peugeot; VW). Love em'!
Unfortunately we will NEVER have a Smart diesel here in the USA, period! We'll kill the rest of the Big Three and Big Oil sayz No, NO!

cheers...

·
Registered
339 Posts
VW diesel

Perhaps a VW diesel out of a Jetta would do the trick! Afterall my little 1 point nothing liter gasser gets 46mpg after 60 series tires. After the regime change we'll be able ťo get diesels in US spec Smarts! My a Lambardini or Yanmar diesel work? If it pushes a 900# Fat Boy @ 100mpg why can't it propel a 1700# beret? Free fuel from a restaurant, but only 500gal max in some states, because my rich Uncle wants his share, I mean road taxes! Scratch the 1.0 liter dig, it's 61 cubic inches!(never use Metric in the US!)

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Well Rambo, I happen to like metric, thank you. I use metric tools every day at work, buy products in liters & milliliters. Got no problem with it. And I don't know why you want to impose your values on a European car.

Be advised, the mods might slap your fingers for anything resembling political talk. It's four years off anyway.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Yes, definitely; I bought two but with the knowledge that they'd be used on the highway and in suburban driving, which is ideal for diesels. The people who jumped on the cdi bandwagon in Canada who drive 5 km or less to work every day generally hate their cars because the EGR is always clogging and they're too cold in winter.

I would never recommend any diesel vehicle to someone who doesn't drive at least 15 miles at a time in daily use. For those who do, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Technology has improved...

The major flaw with the turbo, overheating after you shut the car off, has been fixed. New models keep coolant flowing after the engine is off.

I would love a diesel, I would run bio-diesel in it, smells like French fries...

Now if only an system that primes the oil (starts the oil pump, raises oil pressure, and lubes the engine before startup) could be added...

·
Super Moderator
28,920 Posts
So far, 36 takers, and that's counting the "maybes" - see why M-B isn't too impressed? :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far, 36 takers, and that's counting the "maybes" - see why M-B isn't too impressed? :)
So far; I'm still not finding where anybody can possibly see ANYTHING discouraging about the results.

In a little over 24 hours; 16 people on this single forum have already expressed pent up demand by voting DEFINITELY for a smart diesel. That's not even counting YES's or MAYBE's.

The pent up NO DIESELS movement are also expressing themselves here by voting NO.
And so far; they are at 5 strong and growing.

Instead of splitting the NO votes into NO THANKS and DEFINITELY NO; I lumped them all together to give them a bigger numerical advantage.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
The pent up NO DIESELS movement are also expressing themselves here by voting NO.
Pent up "no diesel", heh, surely you jest. I voted no, but that's because I don't see it being for me. If other people want it, why would I (or anyone) object? The poll didn't ask whether they should be allowed in the USA or not, it asked if we'd buy one.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not jesting. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.
If we assume the remaining 4 NO's are part of a NO DIESEL crowd; I don't want it to appear like I'm trying to marginalize them by splitting their NO votes into different categories

1 - 20 of 142 Posts