Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Definitely

Votes: 50 45.0%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,921 Posts
Gasoline is more expensive than diesel is more expensive than E10.
But that's cool. At least we are in agreement about a diesel forfour. Would you buy a diesel smart forfour:)
Only if it didn't give up any performance to the gas version. Nothing against diesels, thoroughly enjoyed our year with the E320 and for the right vehicle (maybe the CX-5....) I'd have another one. :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
No, I said what I meant to say - didn't mention four seater mini cars; people in the US seem to shop "small" cars, which includes everything from the fortwo and iQ to Versa, Cruze, Civic and Focus. The forfour or another small four seater with a diesel would/will have a a much larger pool of buyers than a small diesel two seater (as far as we can tell since there really aren't enough small two seaters on the market.) The forfour will 1) not be a mini car - too big, and 2) be competing with other four door, four seat hatchbacks like those listed above. Hopefully it will be more successful than the previous forfour - that remains to be seen.

Diesel so much cheaper than gasoline - not in our part of the country; consistently more expensive than gas. Yes, the cost/mile figures usually work out in diesel's favor but the cost per tank is higher. YMMV, of course. :)
And therein lays the problem. Once they hit a target product that is non-unique (just another 4-door) they are suddenly competing with many very competent and well-established manufacturers. So, if their 4-door is very unique (really small, unusually styled, or VERY economical (turbo diesel-powered)) then they have a shot at being successful. The forfour was hideous AND it was competing against many arguably better cars -- not a good recipe for success!:wink:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Here too :(

Diesel runs about 70¢ - 75¢ higher than gas :(
Diesel is 70¢ - 75¢ higher than E10.

Never thought I'd find myself wanting a diesel before, but hey since it's cheaper than gasoline, gets better mileage than either gas or E10.

Best part is diesel is guilt free compared to E10. Diesel isn't raising corn prices and pushing teetering poor people over the edge.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #105

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I live in TX, I would use it for commuting, I see NO show-stoppers for me. My 450 has a turbo already, the turbo is not a big deal. I also had a turbo on my 944. I LOVE turbos -- it's THE way to go! You will see many more cars with turbos going forward since it allows better mpg for the same peak HP as a NA car. ALL of the new Ford cars are comming with the eco-boost engines which are all turbocharged.
I don't understand this turbo babysitting nonsense....Where'd it come from?...:eek:

The 30-year-old MB 5-cyl turbodiesel in my 300TD wagon has never been babied in its 650,000 mile life. It's shut down as soon as the gearshift goes into park. There's no issue with it. I replaced all the little hoses at 28 years. Turbo runs fine, even burning used canola oil from 3 Chinese restaurants mixed with paint thinner....:D

:confused:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Bought gasoline today!
No 10% of me feeling guilty about using 3 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of ethanol.
I should always buy gasoline instead of E10; but very few gas station in USA sell gasoline.
Not to mention gasoline at $4.019/gal is more expensive than diesel.
*So diesel is cheaper than gasoline and gets better gas mileage (and doesn't harm vehicles like E10)

·
Super Moderator
28,921 Posts
Don't tell me we're going to have a gasoline vs. E10 discussion? Gasoline with 10% ethanol is still gasoline, just not 100%. YMMV - literally. :)

PS - does the smart really have a manual transmission.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't understand this turbo babysitting nonsense....Where'd it come from?...:eek:

The 30-year-old MB 5-cyl turbodiesel in my 300TD wagon has never been babied in its 650,000 mile life. It's shut down as soon as the gearshift goes into park. There's no issue with it. I replaced all the little hoses at 28 years. Turbo runs fine, even burning used canola oil from 3 Chinese restaurants mixed with paint thinner....:D

:confused:
EGTs on turbocharged gas engines tend to run high, high enough that if you shut the engine off immediately following a high-load situation (i.e., high boost), the oil in the turbo bearings/bushings can reach extreme temperatures and "coke" up. Letting the engine run for a brief period of time in this circumstance allows the oil to sufficiently cool the bearings/bushings, preventing the oil coking after engine shutdown. Many modern turbocharged engines have after-run coolant pumps to help alleviate this (their bearing journals are often surrounded by a water jacket to help alleviate high temps in that area), but it's still a practice recommended by most manufacturers after high-load situations. Diesels typically run much cooler EGTs and therefore don't run into the oil coking problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[QUOTE=Schlauwagen;
Unfortunately we will NEVER have a Smart diesel here in the USA, period! We'll kill the rest of the Big Three and Big Oil sayz No, NO!

Sadly I agree
Many of the diesel cars available else where in the world
would be a big kick in the teeth to the domestic mfg's
As long as folks don't realize how much better economy they could be getting
( with minimal emissions as well )
Unlikely to change
BTW: the Volks diesel available here, w/ the manual trans is not too shabby
G

·
Registered
767 Posts
BTW: the Volks diesel available here, w/ the manual trans is not too shabby
G
Yes, they are! Owned two myself, dad has one, and mom used to. Would've gotten one again but they're nearly $7,000 more than my fortwo (got to get all the fun options!) and mileage is comparable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one?

Yes, I have one, 1999, wish it was a turbo, but it gets along? Mileage is about 60-70 mpg, Its for sale? Needs to be reg. into US. Still reg. in UK, but is originally a Geman import. (Left hand drive.)the picture is before we brought it here.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
omg this new Mazda sky-d knows how to rev:wow:
i wish smart offered us the diesel; not just for mpg, not just for towing, not just for ethanol free fuel, and certainly not just for longevity.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Revs in what sense, the redline, or the speed with which engine speed increases? The VW 2.0l TDI ('10-up) redlines at 5800 RPM so the redline of the new Mazda diesel isn't completely unusual. As for the RPM increase, I think that's likely due to short gearing.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts