Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased iridum plugs about 6 weeks ago and finally got around to putting them in. wow what a job for three stinkin plugs. i have changed alot of plugs in my cars over the years and none were as hard as this one. two of the plugs were only finger tight.....that was a first. glad i did the iridum so i won't have to repeat this any time soon.

i do have a question....i just could not get the #3 coil bolt out because of the snaking 1.25 inch hose to maybe an egr? the hose was on the right side (pass) and snaked around.
i just could not get the hose off for the needed clearance because of the barbs on the egr valve so i had to make a slit in the hose seat to get it off. i have a tie holding it back on but should probably replace the hose or do you think a good hose clamp would be ok. does alot of air/vaccum flow thru it that the little slit will affect anything? and what is the hose called?

thr you tube plug change looked like a breeze.....but more like a storm. my arms and hands are all knicked and scratched

thanks for sharing

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would put some high temp silicone sealant in the slit you made, and use a good screw clamp over it if you can (barbs you mentioned), then check the tightness of the clamp after a few miles of run-in. The key is to make it leak proof. The EGR system probably has a sensor somewhere in there I am sure, so you don't want to be sucking air, or blowing exhaust out the slit.

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
..next time use a jack and raise the car....all kinds of room are created..even for some fat fingers...

Jetfuel...I resemble my own remark....

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
When changing to irradium plugs, make sure you get the right ones. I have picked up some that were not the high mileage ones, and some that were a bit shorter than the stock ones (shorter threaded area)

They do get easier once you have done them Last time I changed mine, it was 15 degrees out and I was in a snow bank You'd be surprised how fast it can be done when it is cold out!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i compared plugs and they were the same length. i got the plugs everyone on this site talked about and cross referenced them too.

good idea to put them on jack stands....i should have thought about running it up on my ramps.

in a snow bank? i am surprised you could feel anything to be able to work. yeh it's pretty bad changing plugs in 90 degree 2 foot deep "sun"banks too

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do... we are not blessed with warmer weather all year like those in the tropics :laugh: although that was about the warmest it had been for a few weeks...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Question, does suspending the rear of the car on jacks (vs ramps) leave more room for changing plugs, air cleaner, etc.? It appears to me after following my Smart in traffic that the car rises above the engine upon deceleration. Suspending the car would seem to do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The engine shouldn't move much, and I don't think you would see it from behind. you are probably seeing the the dion tubes which is the suspension moving and not the engine.

Raising the back of the car will give you more room for an oil change, and make the plugs easier to reach if you are taller. but I have not had any issues with getting to the plugs even though I am 6'5 and lets just say 'pushing maximum density' , plenty of room to pull the coils and the plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts