Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running way behind for a luncheon date with my wife and had to drive 45 miles in 25 minutes before the restaurant closed so I had to push "PJ". Fortunately all the interstate traffic was doing the same......I got him up to 87 mph (with the a/c on)! Can't help but wonder how much more he was capable of. My driver window was fluttering a bit. Sure want to try that again when I get my bigger tires on.

how fast have you been??? I'm confident the Rejex helped me SLIP thru the wind easier....lol

later my wife made a funny observation remark about how funny it would have looked had a State Trooper pulled over a "hot wheels toy car" for speeding

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I had an emergency back in 2011 and had to get back home ASAP. I di hit the rev limiter for most of the 43 mile drive and passed a state trooper doing right around 90. he never even sped up. got back in about 30 min. I didn't want to try it again. Too nerve racking. More content to do the posted speed limit.

·
17,478 Posts
I’ve temporarily surpassed the limiter a few times and hit a GPS indicated 98 mph in the 451 before the limiter finally turned on. My best “record” was pegging the speedometer needle and the reading coming out as 101 mph. Of course, not on highways with other traffic...Aside from a lot of road noise and panels vibrating, my 451 handles the speed amazingly well.

In the 453, I was just following traffic flow and got the GPS to read a solid 105 before I backed down. Holy cow Californians drive fast once they get out of LA. Even semis are pedal to the metal. The 453 doesn’t seem to care at all about the speed.

The 450’s limiter doesn’t play games like that, once you hit 85 you’re cut off. I think I got maybe 87 out of it. I was just trying to keep up with interstate traffic. lol

Reactions: Smart Bob

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Years ago, my wife in the smart, got a ticket driving 50, in a 35 mpg zone. The cop, laughed, at her. Told her he didn't think the car could move that fast. Out of my other small cars, the smart is the slowest.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did 96 on highway the other night, trying to keep up with my friends. A friend of mine had his 453 tuned (not piggyback plug n play) with stock turbo, and he told me he can smoke GTI, BRZ/FRS easily.

·
17,478 Posts
Oh yeah, I've clocked my stock 453 to 60mph in about 8-9 seconds. I can imagine we can smoke a GTI or a BRZ/FRS/86 quite easily with light modding. :D

I did get stopped on one of those runs. I got stopped by a murdered out unmarked Charger (most likely State Police) for doing 98 in a 55 in the 451. The officer didn't get out his car, instead he took to the PA: "There is nowhere that you could be going *laughs* that would require you to do *laughs* 98 in a 55 in a car *laughs* that small! Slow down! *laughs*"

Then he pulled back out onto the Interstate to chase down a Honda Civic that blew by us probably going well over 100. He actually got out of the car for that one. :eek:

·
Registered
656 Posts
85mph on my 453 , it's got more to go easily . Just have to muster the nads to see what she can do , for safety sake , a closed course will be my only option to do so .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts