Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet 104,000 miles ,2016 Passion Coupe 4,500 miles
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....new owner of a 2009 and it has the clearcoat coming off in sections. I went to a shop that does wraps,and they told me that they would have to strip the rest of the clearcoat, re-apply it, and only then could they wrap it! Is this accurate info?
Also, is there a product that I could use instead to bring the now uncoated parts back to a shine?
I'm not planning to put $3k into paint and/or wrap when the whole car didn't cost me that much....LOL
Thanks in advance.....
Later:cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone...... Hello.... Is this thing on? LOL 馃槅馃槑

Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
Where the clearcoat is gone will leave a telltale line or lip on the edge where the clearcoat still exists, which will show even if wrapped. That is probably why the wrap shop needs to strip and reapply to one level. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 (Did you ask them why?) I have seen some DIY wrapping videos, but it usually comes out fairly poor, as you need basically a clean room from preventing dust from statically clinging to the wrap material as it is applied.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I understand having to remove the old clear, but they said that the wrap will not stick to the plastic surface without new clear coat on it..... That's the part that I am curious about.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That is not true. I鈥檝e seen a vehicle wrapped on primer.
Their point was that you can't wrap the stock, colored plastic without something for it to stick to....I believe that in your case, primer is that something.....

Registered
No that鈥檚 not true either. I鈥檝e had a few things wrapped in the past. If it鈥檚 smooth and clean. It will stick. I鈥檝e had no problems in the past getting anything done. I鈥檓 in the car business. And trust me I鈥檝e seen it all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That's kinda what I thought too....馃槑

1 - 8 of 8 Posts