Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A single wrench light with -14 came on in my new 2014 car which has 600 miles. Is a service required at 600 miles?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No service required. The light comes on at 10K or 1 year, whichever comes first. Your car is probably one year old. Just reset the service indicator and the wrench symbol will disappear for another year or 10k miles.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing because my '14 was just bought the last weekend in August and it just started flashing the wrench upon startup. I guess it's a year old! The real question is, should it be serviced now or can it wait till 10,000 miles? P.S. I already have about 3,500 miles on it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
17,384 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing because my '14 was just bought the last weekend in August and it just started flashing the wrench upon startup. I guess it's a year old! The real question is, should it be serviced now or can it wait till 10,000 miles? P.S. I already have about 3,500 miles on it!

Since the services are each year or every 10k (whichever comes first), I'd do the service.

·
17,384 Posts
Or just getting lucky. Either way, it can't be hurting the car, so it's not hurting anything but your wallet. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Or just getting lucky. Either way, it can't be hurting the car, so it's not hurting anything but your wallet. :)
It's not hurting the wallet by frequent oil changes. A damaged engine will hurt more than your wallet....
Regular oil changes, with synthetic oil or not, are cheap insurance. The oil doesn't merely lubricate , but it keeps metal to metal contact at bay and helps cool off the engine>>>>>> CRITICAL in a smart

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Maybe, but since my local walmart started carrying the correct grade Mobil 1, it's $24.99 for 5 quarts of oil, and $6 for a Purolator oil filter. Pretty cheap insurance. Plus I've got 1/2 the oil for the next change!!

It's not hurting the wallet by frequent oil changes. A damaged engine will hurt more than your wallet....
Regular oil changes, with synthetic oil or not, are cheap insurance. The oil doesn't merely lubricate , but it keeps metal to metal contact at bay and helps cool off the engine>>>>>> CRITICAL in a smart
My feelings exactly! $30 every 5K is a lot cheaper than $2500 for a used engine...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm going to do the oil/filter change this weekend since it seems that my car is a year old (despite having just purchased it about 1.5 months ago). When I reset the wrench, will it not flash again till 10,000 miles/1 year from when I reset it? I'm thinking that's the case, which means it'll come on at about 13,500 miles...which annoys my OCD that wants it come on at the factory intervals (i.e., 10,000 miles). So, I'm thinking just ignore the wrench for now and not reset till 10,000 miles when I'll do the regular 10,000 mile service. Will ignoring the wrench impact anything else? I don't want the dealer claiming I didn't follow the recommended service intervals.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I'm going to do the oil/filter change this weekend since it seems that my car is a year old (despite having just purchased it about 1.5 months ago). When I reset the wrench, will it not flash again till 10,000 miles/1 year from when I reset it? I'm thinking that's the case, which means it'll come on at about 13,500 miles...which annoys my OCD that wants it come on at the factory intervals (i.e., 10,000 miles). So, I'm thinking just ignore the wrench for now and not reset till 10,000 miles when I'll do the regular 10,000 mile service. Will ignoring the wrench impact anything else? I don't want the dealer claiming I didn't follow the recommended service intervals.
Just reset it now, then reset it again when you hit the correct interval. You can reset it any time you want, you don't have to wait until the wrench flashes...:)

·
17,384 Posts
Maybe, but since my local walmart started carrying the correct grade Mobil 1, it's $24.99 for 5 quarts of oil, and $6 for a Purolator oil filter. Pretty cheap insurance. Plus I've got 1/2 the oil for the next change!!
Oh really? I might need to break up with the local AutoZone. :D

And touche, cheap insurance is cheap insurance. 0:)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Oh really? I might need to break up with the local AutoZone. :D

And touche, cheap insurance is cheap insurance. 0:)
Yep, not all Walmarts carry the 0W-40, but mine does. The same 5 qt jug at any of the local auto parts stores runs about $32-35...

I'm not a big Walmart fan, but it's money in my pocket...:D

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just reset it now, then reset it again when you hit the correct interval. You can reset it any time you want, you don't have to wait until the wrench flashes...:)
Ahh, wasn't sure if it could be reset at any time. Thanks! Looks like this time the oil change will have to be done at the dealer because I won't have time to deal with this for two more weeks and the car is driven about 450 miles/week so don't want to wait.

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
For you guys doing more oil changes than required, if you are using the correct oil and the proper filter, then you can easily go to the recommended factory interval or even more. One $14 oil analysis will prove that to you and save you money in the long run. I was initially skeptical too of the long interval, but oil analysis at 5000 and 10,000 miles showed that the oil had LOTS of life left and is certainly not going to hurt your engine.

Len

·
Registered
767 Posts
For you guys doing more oil changes than required, if you are using the correct oil and the proper filter, then you can easily go to the recommended factory interval or even more. One $14 oil analysis will prove that to you and save you money in the long run. I was initially skeptical too of the long interval, but oil analysis at 5000 and 10,000 miles showed that the oil had LOTS of life left and is certainly not going to hurt your engine.

Len

I stopped having the OCI debate many years ago when I had a VW that had 10,000 mile OCIs. Then I had a BMW that rarely recommended service sooner than the 15,000 mile mark. Had a number of oil analyses done at varying points and the oil (Mobil1 0w-40) always had decent life left in it, even after 15,000 miles in my BMW. And then there was my dad's Chevy pickup. He changed the oil (again, Mobil1 0w-40) once a year regardless of mileage and that damn thing ran well into the 200,000 mile range without any engine issues. He's since gotten onboard with at least following the factory service intervals for warranty peace of mind ?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts

Len
Another member on here posted Blackstone lab results from his car that showed just the contrary, but do what you are comfortable with. I'm not going to turn this thread into an OCI debate. I'm comfortable with 5K oil changes, so I'll stick to that...:)

I also dose mine with Marvel Mystery Oil twice a year as well, both in the crankcase, & in the gas tank. smart doesn't recommend that either...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Yep, not all Walmarts carry the 0W-40, but mine does. The same 5 qt jug at any of the local auto parts stores runs about $32-35...

I'm not a big Walmart fan, but it's money in my pocket...:D
Even IF you local WM doesn't carry it, you can go online and ship to site and pick it up locally for free :)

I also change oil at the 5K interval, BUT, I did do a Blackstone at 7500 miles once and it was still marginally good ..... so .... seems to wear out some time between 7500 and 10K YMMV

Do what you like with YOUR car :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts