Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owner's manual doesn't seem to explain much about the wrench symbol that shows up when I first turn on my Smart. The manual says the symbol indicates how many days until scheduled service, and that one wrench and two wrenches mean different things. That seems to be the extent of information I can find.

My Smart currently is ready for the "one wrench service" but I'm not sure what that is. I purchased the vehicles used, and I don't have records of previous service.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The wrench pops up every 10,000 miles after the last service, providing it was reset at the time of service, if it shows up before this, like it did the first time on mine its annually. Mine showed up before the 10k mark on my '09 because it went by 1 year after manufacture date.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
2010 passion with 24,400 miles.

Changed the oil (that was easy, and I've NEVER changed oil myself in any of my cars), but have not been successful in resetting the maintenance alert (wrench symbol) on my dash. The owner's manual instructions have not been working, despite following them precisely.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
2010 passion with 24,400 miles.

Changed the oil (that was easy, and I've NEVER changed oil myself in any of my cars), but have not been successful in resetting the maintenance alert (wrench symbol) on my dash. The owner's manual instructions have not been working, despite following them precisely.
Search «reset maintenance» and you'll get many threads, especially this one: the link goes directly to an important side-note post...
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/maintenance-indicator-reset-service-wrench-17189/#post762953
Try that and good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
To simplify let us set the ground rules up first.
1. Left hand button of the two on the speedometer pod is the one to be pushing.
2. Key on refers to turning the ignition key one click clockwise.
3. Key off, reverse of number 2. (Simple rt.?)

Here goes:
Key on, push- push, key off, key on, push and hold button for 10 seconds or until 10000 is displayed on the display.

(Wrenches will be gone.)
YOU are Done. Do this as fast as you just read this word for word and it will work the first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Procedure does not work in my 2013 Smart Passion with factory cruise. Is there a link to a site that has the procedure to reset the service indicator in ones with cruise?
Thanks, DMW

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Resetting the service indicator, or wrench symbol, is an intelligence test. :D

I had to reset the indicator on my sister's Honda CRV last week. I used a scan tool. That seemed pretty intelligent to me. Push a couple of buttons and done. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Some of the early smarts could not be reset unless they are linked to the STARR computers.

If you don't get it after about 3 tries, the computer ignores more attempts for a set time period. I usually tried again the next day and it would work. Not sure about the 2013 cars

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After multiple attempts on a couple different days, I was finally able to get it reset. A mixture of everyone's advice and a little luck is what it took. Not sure if I could repeat my successful method...

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I have an early 08 and you can reset it with the dash button and key. You just need to do everything in order in the right amount of time. Have I ever had it not work... more than once. Over the years the premium experience will grow on you. Just try again you will measure up some day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts