Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all, I'm looking to buy a 451 Cabby and I don't mind traveling, would prefer it actually. My requirements are below 90k, no dash lights on and road worthy. I don't care about color or even the year. Also the closer you live to an airport the better as I'd be flying in. Oh and no dealers please, just real owners with real cars to sell, no middlemen.

I'm willing to pay a fair price, not looking for a steal.

I can be reached by private message or my email below. Thanks!

[email protected]

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Here’s a few for sale….

You want to check Craigslist, or eBay if you want private owners cars for sale.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's the thing. On Ebay of the 41 smarts for sale only one is from a private seller. Phoenix Craigslist (where I live) has no smarts for sale by a private party. there's just one in Vegas, one in Tucson. It looks to me like dealers are buying up everything. Last year there were loads of smarts listed and most would just sit there for months. I'll find one, no biggie but the supply seems to be dwindling.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's one and my favorite color combo.
View attachment 66900
I emailed this guy last week and he didn't reply. Either he already sold it or he doesn't like the idea of somebody flying in from out of town (can't blame him there). It looks like it's in pretty good condition but there is some discoloration of the panels that I don't think I'd be happy with long term.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, that's the thing. On Ebay of the 41 smarts for sale only one is from a private seller. Phoenix Craigslist (where I live) has no smarts for sale by a private party. there's just one in Vegas, one in Tucson. It looks to me like dealers are buying up everything. Last year there were loads of smarts listed and most would just sit there for months. I'll find one, no biggie but the supply seems to be dwindling.
The one I posted in the LA area is a private owner

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yep, and he didn't answer my email. I like the craigslist ads where they actually put in a phone number, very few responses when using the craigslist mail.
Well I emailed Sean last night from the LA Craigslist ad and I got a response.
The car is still available and ready to drive home to Phoenix.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I sent him an offer. $4400, $500 deposit via Paypal and the balance when I come to inspect-pick up the car Friday or Saturday of next week. Maybe there's a miracle wax or polish that will even up the color on the panels so I don't have to paint or replace. What color is that, root beer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No response from the guy yet. Craigslist is tough to make an out of state deal on because of the endless scammers. Ebay you have your feedback rating at least. No biggie, something will pop up somewhere.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
No response from the guy yet. Craigslist is tough to make an out of state deal on because of the endless scammers. Ebay you have your feedback rating at least. No biggie, something will pop up somewhere.
Really! That's strange because he still replied to me yesterday when I told him about you.....hmmm

Re: Smart car

• craigslist 7336172213
    [email protected]
    Jun 24 at 7:29 AM

Glen -

Thanks for letting me know. Please, of course, dont post my email and phone publicly.

With Craigslist, i get 1 to 2 inquirys a day. But, everyone flakes out on showing up. I have had 10 meeting set up and 10 no shows. Its very strang.

Let them know. If its does not sell by middle of next week, i will take it down for a month while i am out of town and post again at end of july.

...sean

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, that's strange all right. One good letter deserves another.

Christopher Osborne <[email protected]>
Thu, Jun 24, 8:33 AM (20 hours ago)
to 50a050e3cf2b397482642913d9617ac3

Hiya Sean, my name's Chris Osborne and I'm looking for a good reliable smart car. I saw yours on Craigslist and it was also recommended by a member of the Smart Car of America Forum.

I live in Phoenix and would be flying in.

I'd like to make you an offer on your car right now without even seeing it. $4400. I'd be happy to Paypal a $500 deposit and pay the rest in cash when I come to pick it up. I can arrange to be there next Friday or Saturday, whichever day works best for you. I'm not picky as long as the top works and there are no dash lights on as far as I'm concerned the car will be good to go. I can print up an AZ temp tag and have the car insured to be legally driven before I even get there.

If you want to think about it for a while the offer's good until Monday. My contact information is below and I'd be happy to forward a copy of my driver's license to prove I'm not a Craigslist scumsucker.

Thanks and have a good one!

Christopher Osborne
736 S Catalina St.
Gilbert, AZ 85233
[email protected]
(480) 524-6979

2009 Smart Fortwo Passion Convertible - cars & trucks - by owner -...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, since I began looking for a car last week I've sent out 8 feelers. 5 on Craigslist, 3 on this forum. So far I've only gotten responses from Lady Duck (already sold the car) and a dealer near Seattle (also sold the car but now sends me offers for every small car on his lot ). :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please do. As you can see I have no worries about my personal info being bandied about the internet :). Also let him know I'm still interested. I could probably push picking it up to Thursday (if there's still flights available) but that's the soonest I could get there. Thanks Glen!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts