Smart Car of America Forum banner

Wtb used 451 autoflash by madness

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
Just what the thread title says. I also would like to know if this can be used alongside the gopedal plus, or if it does what that does, along with removing the rpm limiter and governor?

#3 ·
But to my knowledge, the ecu flash also changes the timing of shifting, which is the entire purpose of the gopedal, do I have that wrong?
And if it's tethered to a single vin, that's really lame, but I guess if you make an item like this that no one else can really make, you can do stuff like that.

#13 ·
Just what the thread title says. I also would like to know if this can be used alongside the gopedal plus, or if it does what that does, along with removing the rpm limiter and governor?

So there are a few things we need to go over here.

First, you can not buy a 'used' Autoflash. Once an Autoflash has been plugged into a vehicle it is married to that VIN and will not operate in a different vehicle. It is a one-vehicle purchase. For that same reason, we can not offer any returns on it.

Second, The Autoflash remaps the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) not the ECU. By doing that we can change shift points, increase shift speed, and bypass torque limiters. It will not remove a RPM limit.

Third, The GOPedal does not interact with the TCU in any way. It does not change any software, it does not change shift behavior. It does remap throttle input seen by the ECU by sandwiching between the pedal and the ECU.

A GOPedal will make you get off the line faster and an Autoflash will keep that momentum climbing through a more aggressive and faster TCU operation.

None of these products add any power to your smart. They just change how the power is delivered and it makes a huge difference.

#4 ·
I have the GoPedal, but not the ecu re-flash. The GoPedal will both quicken and smooth out the shifts. It does not make the car any faster or add power, but it will feel a lot quicker than before. I find it is particularly noticeable in manual shift mode, but not so much in auto mode.

I have never driven or ridden in a smart with the ecu flash, but it should be worth the money.

If I were you, I would call SmartMadness to ask about the ecu/vin situation.

#5 ·
Yeah, to my understanding, the stock ecu has a 1 second delay in shifts, and that's what the gopedal fixes. But things I read make it seem like the ecu flash does that, on top of removing governor and rpm limit. So, i'm wondering if there's even any performance increase seen from owning both, rather than just the ecu flash. Will definitely email them about both.

#6 ·
Contrary to popular belief, the Gopedal has nothing to do with shifting. It simply quickens throttle response which makes people think the shifting is "quicker" or "smoother". I have a Gopedal, but it's only because I hate how far you have to push the pedal to go anywhere in a stock smart. I'd be very interested in driving one with a flashed ECU.

#7 ·
I see. The response I got was pretty short and concise (Which honestly, I wish it wasn't)

They said if your primary concern is performance, they'd go with gopedal and ecu tune, unless you want cruise then go with cruise and ecu tune. And that it is programmed to the vin. So, used ecu tune is a no go. :(
And blackout, if your car is still pretty much stock, buy a k&n performance filter, I was impressed with the throttle response difference.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Well, I drove my car for about 5 months before changing the filter to the K&n, and there is a noticeable difference to throttle response. And idek which filters those are, and it also seems like there's a lot of other stuff done to that car...
There's also no way a stock filter would be better than ripping the entire thing out and installing a cold air intake, at least.
I will say that this car has too much drag for anything to really give it a big boost in performance, imo.

#12 ·
I will say that this car has too much drag for anything to really give it a big boost in performance, imo.
Not true - like all things, depends on just how deep your pockets are?

smart (hardly a high performance vehicle) has the aerodynamics of a brick! Unless you plan to invest cubic dollars - a go-fast smart fortwo is not in your future!

See post #10 - add a proper "hairdryer" and go fast . . . :burnout:

#15 ·
I thought saying "without dumping 20%+ of what the car's worth into it" was a given statement. I wouldn't mind a little turbo powered smart, but you're absolutely right. Aerodynamics of a brick.
Wonder why they haven't made a slightly shorter version, with more of an angle on the windshield.

#16 ·
Actually, the smart has less aerodynamic drag than a sleek looking Corvette; both real drag and Cd.

The belly pan helps a lot ... little parasitic drag ... and very little internal drag associated with cooling, etc.

Sleek is not always better.

Cheers, Bob

#18 ·
Actually, the smart has less aerodynamic drag than a sleek looking Corvette; both real drag and Cd.

The belly pan helps a lot ... little parasitic drag ... and very little internal drag associated with cooling, etc.

Sleek is not always better.

Cheers, Bob
Huh???

Thanks to MikeT on 6/28/2007 on clubsmartcar.com . . .

"The new 451 has a 0.35 drag coefficient, according to Le Moniteur Automobile.

The frontal area of the 450 is 1.95 square metres, so the SCd is 0.7215.

The frontal area of the 451 is 2.057 square metres, so its SCd is 0.7196."

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/9972-aerodynamics-take-2/

The MY08 base Corvette C6 has a 0.28 drag coefficient

Note, the C6 Z06 has aero tuning to reduce lift at high speed. This increases the Cd somewhat, but provides much needed stability at speed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...092737-drag-coefficient-and-frontal-area.html

#17 ·
Wha???

Might want to check the numbers....

453 fortwo coupe has a Cd of 0.38 as best I can tell. I thought the 451 is similar but I can't seem to find any info on that. I know it is above 0.30....

The Corvette C5 coupe's Cd is 0.29; C6 coupe's Cd is 0.28 and the current C7's Cd is also 0.28. :)

#19 ·
I did the research a few years back, and the 451 was listed as 0.32 and the current Corvette model as 0.33. fyi, the Viper was 0.45. We cited the same source, not corporate advertising. Also note that a Cd of 0.29 seems to be the lower limit for legal road cars. As an aero engineer friend stated, "Brochures are BS that you can fold"

I was then helping with cars for six universities to which we'd given smarts as a foundation for roadable commuter class entries for the Shell Eco-Marathon. I'll publish the full paper when I find it. It's been a while and several computers.

Also as a matter of curiosity, the McDonnell F-4 had a lower Cd than the Lockheed F-104. Based on real wind tunnel tests. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient#Aircraft

Cheers, Bob
(Full disclosure - I am a pilot, and flew the F-4 in the Navy, and currently fly a Lear 25 for Executive Jet)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.