Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had their recall fixed on the engine compartment mat?
I had my Mom's 2008 fixed Saturday at Portland Mercedes.
I didn't bother to check it when I picked the car up, but this morning I decided to take a look and the only thing that looks like was replaced with the mat on the engine lid, not in the engine area where this stuff is falling off!
I'm including pictures.. the duct tape is the repair I did a couple years ago before a recall was announced.. that is what I thought would be fixed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They did not touch my engine cover under the recall. They replaced the rear insulation over the exhaust. Now it is tight up against the body. My front insulation was saging slightly but fully intact. I use some permatex RTV adhesive to glue it to the body and use medium binder clips to hold until cured. Worked a charm and it is now all held up to the body and you can not even see it from the top anymore,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update from Mercedes...
Lame that they replace one part that could "possibly" fall off but don't replace the part that does.

"The recall is for the pad in the back which is over the exhaust system. The front pad (the pad that you have tapped up) is not part of the recall. I have attached the recall for you to review."

·
Registered
286 Posts
I took my 2008 into Portland Mercedes last week. Yesterday I tried to adjust my side mirrors and somehow the switch is reversed for the first time in 10 years. I couldn't figure out at first why my mirror wasn't moving, then I looked at the other side, it was all screwed up and I figured out. I don't know why there'd be any connection between the mat replacement in the recall but I've had horrible experiences with PM every time I've had to go in.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I took my 2009 Coupe in for the recall at San Francisco Mercedes/Smart. Took them two hours, not a problem since they paid for an Uber so we could have lunch while they worked. The job was done right the first time, just like always. I have always had good service there. I guess it's a "your mileage may vary" situation.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If your insulation mat is in good condition and a smart repair shop isn't convenient, you may just want to reinforce/support your existing mat in the front and back of the engine bay.
Even though I'm only 10 minutes away from a Mercedes / former smart dealer, my insulation mat was in good condition, I decided to just reinforce and support mine with steel strapping from Lowes.

Link to my previous post with pictures.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/smart-fortwo-451-recall-149866/index13.html#post1650466

Good Luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input folks.
I'm just surprised that Mercedes wouldn't replace the obvious.
I ended up repairing the drooping mat with heat resistant tape.
Looks fine now.

R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts