Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent five hours detailing my Mercedes today: washing and removing old wax, rubbing it with a clay bar, applying paint sealer and then a coat of Carauba wax. I'm very pleased with the results.

Now I'm thinking of doing the same to my smart ED. However, I'm not sure if the acrylic-like body panels will take to this treatment.

What are the experiences of others who have spent the time and effort to spruce up their smarts?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The panel composition has no bearing on how you clean or protect the finish which, whether it's painted (as are the metallics) or through-body colored (non-metallics), there will be a clearcoat top layer, as with other standard car finishes. You can use the same detailing process as you did on your Mercedes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used clay the first time about 8 years ago. I started feeling guilty last year so I did it again. People can't believe that the car is 9 years old. It really looks nice.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I laboriously claybarred the finish on my new ED as soon as it arrived home. It'd been outdoors at the dealership and exposed to contaminants for a full three years. What a job that was! Although the car had been delivered to me freshly washed, its embedded grime was ridiculous beyond description. I probably ended up doing the equivalent of five claybar jobs that day, since the clay kept finding (getting stuck on) more and more layers of surface contaminants. I've never seen anything like it in my decades of detailing my cars. After that, I gave it a good polish, and one final claybar pass before moving on to two successive coats of RejeX. The final result was flawless, stunning; and well worth the very fun/satisfying effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts