Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been happening lately. When I start up they are both on, but after a tiny drive it shuts off. Then on the way into work (about 30 minute drive) it turns on again.

Midas can't read the abs computer. Is there anything I can check before paying someone that might be able to read it?? I have a handheld scanner with abs reader but I have the same issue (can't read it.) It shuts off the abs, traction control, and hill assist. Any advice??

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That seems like a new one.

I would think a wiring issue or sensor, maybe the abs module. I did not think the system would reset itself like that with the car running.

I suspect you still have working brake lights, as you can get the car out of park, that should rule out a faulty brake lamp switch.

A broken reluctor ring should only cause a fault when the car is in motion.

You need a garage/someone with a M-B STAR machine to properly scan the abs controller.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I wanna say that if you had replaced the brake fluid lately, maybe it wasn't done right somewhere and caused the abs to malfunction. Bad abs might trigger the triangle to light up.

Just a shot in the dark.

-wahi

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That seems like a new one.

I would think a wiring issue or sensor, maybe the abs module. I did not think the system would reset itself like that with the car running.

Ya its strange when I turn the car on both lights stay on, as soon as I start to move they shut off, then after a varied period of time they turn back on and stay on.

No limp home I am able to drive any speed. Very strange.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Any fault related to ABS, traction control or stability control can turn those warning lamps on. A shop with a up-to-date SnapOn scan tool with European software should be able to read the fault codes. Other aftermarket scan tools can as well, but the SnapOn tools are fairly common.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any fault related to ABS, traction control or stability control can turn those warning lamps on. A shop with a up-to-date SnapOn scan tool with European software should be able to read the fault codes. Other aftermarket scan tools can as well, but the SnapOn tools are fairly common.
Ya just finding the time to get it done is the issue I guess. I am going to check around and see if I can find anyone local that can do it. I know of a place in ann arbor that I am sure will be able to do it, but I would have to get off an hour early from work to get there so they can do it. So with luck I will be able to find a local place to that will be able to work on it.

Wish me luck.

Anyone know what handheld scanners that could read the smart ABS system??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ya just finding the time to get it done is the issue I guess. I am going to check around and see if I can find anyone local that can do it. I know of a place in ann arbor that I am sure will be able to do it, but I would have to get off an hour early from work to get there so they can do it. So with luck I will be able to find a local place to that will be able to work on it.

Wish me luck.

Anyone know what handheld scanners that could read the smart ABS system??
I just started having the same problem on my 09. Can drive anywhere from 3 miles to 20+ before the light comes on. Everything appears to handle correctly and yesterday they went off after 50 miles but came back on 8 miles later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same thing happens here. Sometimes on, sometimes off. Someone told me condensation in the ABS sensor. Told me to use Dielectric grease in the fitting to seal out moisture. Been too cold here but starting to warm up so might be able to get under there soon and check it out. Because it goes away sometimes I'm hoping that the reluctor rings are not the culprit.

Can't wait to hear what you find out... subscribed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Add me to list of people experiencing this issue. Just started to occur 2 days ago. It goes out after a few miles and then comes back on. Today I will try to see if the ABS kicks in by trying a hard stop on a gravel surface.

·
Registered
25 Posts
An update on what is happening --

After the car is parked and off for long periods, the ABS light will still be illuminated when the car is started. Within approx 50 feet of driving distance on this cold start the ABS light goes off and the ABS works. At approx 4 miles of driving the ABS light comes back on for the duration of the trip. This phenomena has repeated itself every time that the car has been off for a long period (overnight or while I am at work).

Turning off the car for a short time does not have the same effect. It appears to be a time duration issue with the ABS logic.

My code reader does not read ABS codes. I will have to find someone with a compatible code reader to see what the fault is that is causing the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I am confused. Are you referencing the car battery? Please help me understand your suggestion.

Thanks
Yes I've had issues with an older car battery which apparently influenced the ECU.
After the 4 year old battery was replaced this stopped.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes and reconnecting to reboot the computers? It couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The same thing has been happening to me for about the past two months now. Sometimes I will start my smart, and then I can't shift out of park. After I take my foot off the brake, reapply the brake, and then I can shift into drive, the traction control and ABS lights come on. Otherwise, it usually happens right after I finish braking. And then it finally turns off when I turn off the car...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also just started to get this issue on my early 09. It goes out and then turns one while I am on the interstate.
Has anyone had this problem "fixed" and how. I am guessing it is one of the wheel sensors.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well my smart is still under warranty, so I am going to take it to the Indy smart center in the beginning of June and have them take a look at it. If they come up with a solution, I'll let all of you know, and hopefully you guys will have the capability of fixing it on your own without having to take it into the shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I had my local guy hook up his reader and it was a problem with the left front sensor. E-mailed Pittsburg Smart never got a response,still waiting. E-mailed Germantown and got a call back in 30 min. Part arrived the next day, that's great service. Seventy two dollars plus shipping. Now i have to get it on.:eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts