Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got invite, 2 days to order

got the email order invite tonight. it was sent oct 19th, but never made it into my email box.

upon my 'random update' phone call to them tonight, smart informed me of my invite, and re-sent the email invite with password, etc. this time, it made it into my email box.

final order must be done, by oct 26th, at 6 pm,
the 3 most important decisions still to make: tridion, interior, model.

insights appreciated. 45 hours to deadline.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
45 hours?....ahh, that's plenty of time to decide! :p

btw, I wonder how "final" this final confirmation is? The dealer still has to contact you, so I wonder if there is one last time to change something? at that time?

·
Registered
423 Posts
As well as, What is the price of a new panel set? Metalic vs MIC.
Congrats of the actual commitment.
For the rest of us, you reserved on March 25, making your reservation #1179. So all reservation #s spanning 1178-1180 should be in the confirmation mode this week. So all within this range this should serve as a heads up

·
Registered
564 Posts
insights, suggestions, opinions appreciated. 45 hours to deadline.
Oh boy, you are in BIG trouble! :D

Seriously though, I'm very happy for you - your very own smart is now that much closer. I wouldn't dare to give another person color advice, but I do have a couple of thoughts that may be useful:
  1. Trust your gut. If you saw the car in person, in a particular color combo, and it moved your soul, it's going to be a winner.
  2. Don't get hung up on "can I change the panels later, cover up the tridion, etc.". Choose something you like out of the box. You'll drive it like that for a while and love it. And down the road there could be any number of options for "updating the look".
  3. As far as options go, focus on stuff that will give you benefit or enjoyment every day (e.g. cabrio versus panoramic roof).
And remember, even a yellow and black smart with red interior (not a color combo I would recommend), is still going to be the coolest car you've ever owned!

Good Luck. :):):)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
micronut,
you may have commented on this before, but, maybe you could review again, your thinking in concluding your choice, convertible or clear roof coupe?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I kind of went through a change in mind too. I also liked the convertible initially, and that was what I signed up for back in March. But I changed to the passion when I was notified because of 2 concerns with the convertible:
1. I saw a convertible Smart when I was in Italy- looked awful with bird droppings all over the top. Got me thinking about how you clean that kind of a cloth exterior. I imagined you could take it through a car wash, or wash it manually, but I wasn't comfortable with how durable it would be. I've never owned a convertible before, so maybe it was a needless worry.
2. I've seen pictures that show the tridon arms (?) stored in the rear door, but at the Smart show I also saw them kind of tucked in the back trunk. I didn't like the idea of diminished storage space, but again maybe this was not a real valid concern.
3. I did have a hesitation about the passion because the ones I saw in Italy had a panel that only covered half of the glass roof, but I understand that the US model will have a cover that covers the entire roof. That was important to me because it gets pretty hot around here in summer, and I didn't really want the sun beating down on me then.
Good luck, and congratulations. I also agree that once I got the invite, it took me about 2 minutes to fill out the form and send it in. I've had lots of time this summer to decide what I wanted!

·
Registered
564 Posts
you may have commented on this before, but, maybe you could review again, your thinking in concluding your choice, convertible or clear roof coupe?
My personal choice is the clear roof coupe. This one was pretty easy for me (unlike color, which I keep going round and round on).

My reasoning is: I live in a relatively cold climate (7600 ft in the Colorado Rockies), and my commute is 14 miles at 65mph with no traffic. "Wind in the hair" is pleasant at about 30mph with an ambient air temperature of 70+ degrees, but no so much under my typical driving conditions.

I'm concerned about the reduced structural strength, both from an every day "body shake" perspective, and for crash-worthiness. Also, others have commented that the fabric roof flaps a bit at highway speeds, which I would find annoying.

The clear roof would seem to have a number positives, including a general feeling of openess and potential for additional solar heating in the cold of winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts