Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their smart to Yosemite, Tioga Pass, Mono Lake, etc.? I've had my 2009 Pure for a week and want to take it camping, but I'm still not sure if I should reserve a Zipcar (rental car) for a trip to Yosemite instead.

I'm already very aware of my smart's limitations. E.g., in the city the car frighteningly froze down to zero momentum on 24th & Diamond (Twin Peaks) and in Chinatown I was unable to parallel park because it could not handle the incline in reverse.

Obviously street grades are rarely as steep as in the city. But since I haven't been to Yosemite before, I thought it would be *smart* to ask if you have been in your smart. Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I haven't had a smart there, but there's nothing in Yosemite that compares to the grades in SF. I've seen plenty of reports of smarts at higher altitudes, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Just be sure to check that the roads are open... when I was last there (a few years ago) Tioga pass was closed until the end of June.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I went through there last year, no problems anywhere. I easily had plenty of power and we packed all our camp stuff for us both comfortably. We came home out the back way past Mono Lake, if you go that way, stop at the Chevron Station right where it hits 395. they have a restaurant there and they have the BEST steak sandwich I have ever had.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has anyone taken their smart to Yosemite, Tioga Pass, Mono Lake, etc.? I've had my 2009 Pure for a week and want to take it camping, but I'm still not sure if I should reserve a Zipcar (rental car) for a trip to Yosemite instead.

I'm already very aware of my smart's limitations. E.g., in the city the car frighteningly froze down to zero momentum on 24th & Diamond (Twin Peaks) and in Chinatown I was unable to parallel park because it could not handle the incline in reverse.

Obviously street grades are rarely as steep as in the city. But since I haven't been to Yosemite before, I thought it would be *smart* to ask if you have been in your smart. Thanks.

I went 5-times with my smart since I got it. Just use 4th gear going up the grades, and you'll be ok. However, advise against using Old Priest Grade though. :) In fact, I just got back from Yosemite last week. :D

Everyone!!!!!
If you guys like nature and wall falls, NOW IS THE TIME TO GO TO YOSEMITE. The water falls are full as hell, and they are not even at max capacity. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We came home out the back way past Mono Lake, if you go that way, stop at the Chevron Station right where it hits 395. they have a restaurant there and they have the BEST steak sandwich I have ever had.

Thanks, dude. Good to know. I'm vegetarian, so I'll recommend your gas station steak sandwich to someone else.

·
aka 'smart-1'
2,005 Posts
I haven't had a smart there, but there's nothing in Yosemite that compares to the grades in SF. I've seen plenty of reports of smarts at higher altitudes, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Just be sure to check that the roads are open... when I was last there (a few years ago) Tioga pass was closed until the end of June.
Tioga Pass opened June 5th ... :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
last year i towed my timeout camping trailer thru the park with my stock smart, no problems, camping at bass lake just outside the park is good and you can drive in yosemite for the day. flush and hot showers, close to town. yosemite is often full.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.