Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

next friday I'm going to get the new smart personally explained to me. As I'm asslowed to bring questions, I would also like to bring your questions with me. :)

Reactions: sokoloff

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
What‘s the EV driving range, would be my first. Since it’s only a concept at the moment. Price would be the next. Will smart ever enter the North American market again. Probably no. The crossover market here, is so saturated with vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Any information on the next generation fortwo, should it exist?

Reactions: MineCooky

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Last time I've asked Smart about returning to the US market (earlier this year when I wrote about the original formore) its reps gave a vague answer saying that they have no plans on doing so.

They wouldn't outright say "never," so maybe they're betting the farm on this new crossover selling well in Europe/China first before giving us another go. Hopefully they're willing to give more info to you since your publication is dedicated to the EQ! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try my best. :)

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
I really doubt, you’ll every see another for two model again. All the other brand auto manufacturers, seemed to have drop their city cars. I’m not crazy at all with the face lift of the European 453. Why such a large grill, on a EV?

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I really doubt, you’ll every see another for two model again. All the other brand auto manufacturers, seemed to have drop their city cars. I’m not crazy at all with the face lift of the European 453.
Why such a large grill, on a EV?
Aggressiveness I suppose.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
301 Posts
... Why such a large grill, on a EV?
Totally agree. No need for such a large grille on an EV, just $omething to break when you bump $omething.
There seems to be a trend, (now that LED's are gaining DOT approval), to make grids of headlights.
Take a look at the new Hyundai Santa Cruz as an example:

Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Jim

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
They wouldn't outright say "never," so maybe they're betting the farm on this new crossover selling well in Europe/China first before giving us another go.
“NEVER” - smart left a bad taste in the M-B Dealer network.

They simply will not buy into another showroom MONEY PIT! And German built sitting next to “something” from China?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
New Fortwo, new Forfour, and bright colors!!! All isn't lost! :love:

• Love

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They usually show us some details that will come and most of the time we know already what the details are, we should look closer at.

The forspeed showed a ruff hint on how the design language of the 453 is going to be. The vision EQ fortwo was mostly based on the concept of having an autonomous car, the forstars could be seen as a predecessor of the concept #1 (and therefor the formore) with the 453 design language and forease was mostly there to show us the new head- and talelights of the 453 facelift.

Something I learned last week from smart: Don't take the car as a whole as "what you get", look at the individual elements and take a closer look at them. I my article I wrote what's going to stay as we saw it and was was simply on it to make it a nicer study.

.. and usually they also show studies to check how people react on them and adjust some things before the final version is being made. That's also why they where interested in the feedback from the community as well as my feedback. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
You can sometimes tell which ones are production concepts and which ones aren't. The fourjoy, for example, was a weird concept, but it previewed the almost-production front and rear ends of the 453.

The production 453 got slightly different headlights (halogen instead of the nifty projector LEDs), less of a rake, and a more compact lower grille section.

I do wish that they would have kept the tridion design, but that would have probably been expensive to implement.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Miss Mercedes I haven't had the time to ask there about the USA and Canada, but I've send a request to my contact. Should get feedback next week :)
So I've just got feedback. My contacts works for the European department of smart (smart Europa GmbH) and told me he can't speak for the American market. So I asked him if there even is a American smart company. Which he told me there it not... :(

·
Super Moderator
29,360 Posts
Since Mercedes has decided that anything with a long roof has to be lifted, slathered with black plastic cladding and called "off road" or "cross country"- why didn't they just do that with the forfour?

smart ain't coming back to the US or Canada - dealers aren't going to get burned twice. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts