Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well first of all I want to say to everyone hello and thanks for all that you guys have done to help me in this venture.
so I don't know what come of me. must have been some kind of favor cause I use to own a gmc van, big cargo van!! until one morning in Brooklyn I saw a smart car sitting on the Corner four blocks from my house, four blocks because this is how far I would have to park from my house some nights alone with 30-40 mins of my night to find that spot and numerous parking violations. so I was sick of this plus the van needed a fair amount of work done that I didn't feel like doing and it wasn't going to pass inspection. so I took a huge hit on the van selling it. I bought it just months before for $3000 only got $1400 to help with a down payment on a used one from carvava. nice people but they not going to help you get the car you actually want. anyways I was supposed to take a 2015 from them with 18,000 miles and a $700 a mount debt with insurance and all. so I decided to hustle some money and buy for cash. long story short I own a blue 2009 Smart Fortwo passion and I absolutely love it. I do all my own work on her and everything. not one parking ticket since I bought it and I fin parking on my block every night since also and I have had it a mount today. I decided to go with a dealer on Facebook market instead of a private party, mostly cause of covid and I needed a plate to drive it away. I couldn't transfer old plates. plus I thought I might not get a bad car. so I see the 2009 like new with 23,546 original miles. I didn't think it was possible but when I went we test drove it and it for sure said 23,xxx although it didn't drive like new, rough and it started off rough. I didn't think to get a car fax. thought they would have done that. I buy the car for 4,500 out right, 30 day 1000 mile warrantee. I get home and see that geico will let me see the car fax as a part of the Mobleys app and the car had been inspect in dec 2010 with 59,000, its now dec 2020, you can assume 8-10,000 additional miles. so the first thing I did was get some money back and get the paperwork for dmv fixed. I got 900$ back. so I bought all new shocks, springs, and tires alone with all new front breaks, rotors and pads. it needed all this.
so now it rides like new except that when I start from a compleat stop it jerks and pulls as soon as let go of the breaks. I got a aftermarket warrantee for mechanical but I gave them the actual mileage on the car, not what's on the odometer. (25,000 now) I guess I drive a lot.) so I'm scared to claim anything on the warrantee to do with the tranny cause of the mileage discrepancy. I gave them the exact mileage except changed the first two to a six so 65,xxx I'm not even sure what happen there. there is a code in the computer here and there for instrument cluster. Im out of the dealer warrantee and I'm about to sue him. so I want to add two new keys to my car. I'm wondering if there is a scan tool I can buy to fix the mileage, if not how can this be done? and also a scan tool that will also program keys. I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I just bought the shifter motor. its used but not very used maybe 10,000 miles. I can buy the actuator. but I also suspect the clutch is going out. not really looking forward to that job but if anyone has done it and can offer tips I'm all ears on that. I just want it to drive and run right. I have also changed spark plugs, oil change. filter change. install Kenwood sys including the speaker on the back pillars I learned how to do from here. im going to buy two seats tomorrow cause mine is split badly so I'm getting both seats from a 2015 for $300. as I said I love the car.any help or recommendation. I was actually thinking of buying a Mercedes star sys from eBay but its expensive but I'm sure it can do all I need it to but no so sure if even it can roll the mileage forward. or maybe someone knows exactly what I need to do. I will take advice on any part you wish to speak. thanks in advance if you have any questions feel free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well first of all I want to say to everyone hello and thanks for all that you guys have done to help me in this venture.
so I don't know what come of me. must have been some kind of favor cause I use to own a gmc van, big cargo van!! until one morning in Brooklyn I saw a smart car sitting on the Corner four blocks from my house, four blocks because this is how far I would have to park from my house some nights alone with 30-40 mins of my night to find that spot and numerous parking violations. so I was sick of this plus the van needed a fair amount of work done that I didn't feel like doing and it wasn't going to pass inspection. so I took a huge hit on the van selling it. I bought it just months before for $3000 only got $1400 to help with a down payment on a used one from carvava. nice people but they not going to help you get the car you actually want. anyways I was supposed to take a 2015 from them with 18,000 miles and a $700 a mount debt with insurance and all. so I decided to hustle some money and buy for cash. long story short I own a blue 2009 Smart Fortwo passion and I absolutely love it. I do all my own work on her and everything. not one parking ticket since I bought it and I fin parking on my block every night since also and I have had it a mount today. I decided to go with a dealer on Facebook market instead of a private party, mostly cause of covid and I needed a plate to drive it away. I couldn't transfer old plates. plus I thought I might not get a bad car. so I see the 2009 like new with 23,546 original miles. I didn't think it was possible but when I went we test drove it and it for sure said 23,xxx although it didn't drive like new, rough and it started off rough. I didn't think to get a car fax. thought they would have done that. I buy the car for 4,500 out right, 30 day 1000 mile warrantee. I get home and see that geico will let me see the car fax as a part of the Mobleys app and the car had been inspect in dec 2010 with 59,000, its now dec 2020, you can assume 8-10,000 additional miles. so the first thing I did was get some money back and get the paperwork for dmv fixed. I got 900$ back. so I bought all new shocks, springs, and tires alone with all new front breaks, rotors and pads. it needed all this.
so now it rides like new except that when I start from a compleat stop it jerks and pulls as soon as let go of the breaks. I got a aftermarket warrantee for mechanical but I gave them the actual mileage on the car, not what's on the odometer. (25,000 now) I guess I drive a lot.) so I'm scared to claim anything on the warrantee to do with the tranny cause of the mileage discrepancy. I gave them the exact mileage except changed the first two to a six so 65,xxx I'm not even sure what happen there. there is a code in the computer here and there for instrument cluster. Im out of the dealer warrantee and I'm about to sue him. so I want to add two new keys to my car. I'm wondering if there is a scan tool I can buy to fix the mileage, if not how can this be done? and also a scan tool that will also program keys. I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I just bought the shifter motor. its used but not very used maybe 10,000 miles. I can buy the actuator. but I also suspect the clutch is going out. not really looking forward to that job but if anyone has done it and can offer tips I'm all ears on that. I just want it to drive and run right. I have also changed spark plugs, oil change. filter change. install Kenwood sys including the speaker on the back pillars I learned how to do from here. im going to buy two seats tomorrow cause mine is split badly so I'm getting both seats from a 2015 for $300. as I said I love the car.any help or recommendation. I was actually thinking of buying a Mercedes star sys from eBay but its expensive but I'm sure it can do all I need it to but no so sure if even it can roll the mileage forward. or maybe someone knows exactly what I need to do. I will take advice on any part you wish to speak. thanks in advance if you have any questions feel free.
oh I also cleaned and greased the actuator and sprayed the shifter motor with white lithium

·
Registered
334 Posts
*you're.
I'm not 100% sure but I doubt mb star can adjust the mileage. I wonder if the delay didn't install a meet cluster and then reprogrammed it with a start computer.
Here's a question, is it a good idea to spend all that money and do all these repairs of you plan on taking the dealer to court?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yea, I think so cause I want to keep the car I like the car, but it was described as like new and he did give me back 900$ when I bought it to his attention, but I that’s still 3600$ for a car that needed massive amounts of parts thrown at right out the dealers lot. I didn’t know that this car didn’t just drive like that. It wasn’t untill a couple time I have started the car and it actually sit at a red light and didn’t budge untill I put my foot on the gas and then it pulled off smoothly. Normally I let off the break and I get a couple jerks and as if I let off the clutch wrong and the car starts moving. But that was how I figured out my car wasn’t normal and it needs even more money and parts thrown at it. I’m only sueing him for the money in parts I have spent, not even my labor.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
304 Posts
Try doing a "Throttle Body Reset".

Might just work for you and it won't cost anything, and you an do it in under 5 minutes. discussion about this is abundant here in the forum (see https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/new-owner-lots-of-questions.157451/ for example. some people swear by it, others swear at it. Won't hurt the car if you try it.

This is what I did:
  1. Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kickdown).
  3. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5 seconds and turn the key back to 0 (off).
  4. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  6. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)

As you probably can guess, I used this method with success, repeatedly, when I had my 2008 451.

I now have gone with a 453 ED/EQ, so I haven't needed to do this anymore:coffee:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try doing a "Throttle Body Reset".

Might just work for you and it won't cost anything, and you an do it in under 5 minutes. discussion about this is abundant here in the forum (see https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/new-owner-lots-of-questions.157451/ for example. some people swear by it, others swear at it. Won't hurt the car if you try it.

This is what I did:
  1. Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kickdown).
  3. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5 seconds and turn the key back to 0 (off).
  4. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  6. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)

As you probably can guess, I used this method with success, repeatedly, when I had my 2008 451.

I now have gone with a 453 ED/EQ, so I haven't needed to do this anymore:coffee:
Thanks a ton but I thought this was called a transmission relearn procedure

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,082 Posts
The only way to reset the mileage is with the Mercedes Benz Star computer. Probably only found at a Mercedes dealer or an independent shop that works on Mercedes. The instrument cluster is an integral part of the cars computer system. Somebody selling you a car with modified mileage as they have done is illegal. There’s a New Rule to Combat Odometer Fraud - Autotrader . The instrument cluster is VIN number matched to the car and the only way to to program it is with the Star computer. DCO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only way to reset the mileage is with the Mercedes Benz Star computer. Probably only found at a Mercedes dealer or an independent shop that works on Mercedes.
In the UK we have a double check for true mileage on cars over 3 years old, when their MOT starts, We can go to a government website and insert the registration number plate of the car, and it calls up all the previous MOTs (ministry of transport) annual road worthiness test of the car, passes and fail details which have to be fixed, which also has the mileage at each annual test, so you have a history of mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts