Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was logged on the YouTube the other day and noticed there was a recommended video on the Smart 451. The video was only a week old and already had over 40,000 views so I was intrigued. The video is only 11 minutes long and I thought it was pretty informative - there are more differences between the European and U.S. Smart Cars than I would have thought.

Here's the link -

In fairness, I don't know if all of the information in the video is correct, but if it is it appears that Smart was originally going to be built by the Volkswagen Group but a change in management killed the project. The video also claims the original name for the Smart Car was going to be Swatch Car or the Swatchmobile but Mercedes didn't like either name and they settled on Smart as the brand name. The final little factoid I thought was interesting - over 2 million Smart Cars have been sold since the brand's inception.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I was logged on the YouTube the other day and noticed there was a recommended video on the Smart 451. The video was only a week old and already had over 40,000 views so I was intrigued. The video is only 11 minutes long and I thought it was pretty informative - there are more differences between the European and U.S. Smart Cars than I would have thought.

Here's the link -

In fairness, I don't know if all of the information in the video is correct, but if it is it appears that Smart was originally going to be built by the Volkswagen Group but a change in management killed the project. The video also claims the original name for the Smart Car was going to be Swatch Car or the Swatchmobile but Mercedes didn't like either name and they settled on Smart as the brand name. The final little factoid I thought was interesting - over 2 million Smart Cars have been sold since the brand's inception.
Yep, lots of history in its development. Swatch Co. wanted to build a city car back in the 1980s and searched around for a car manufacturer to partner with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts