Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
164 Posts
Look what I spotted in Maul-Mart...

STP Synthetic, loaded with zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP), an anti wear additive..
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STP-Synthetic-Oil-Treatment-15-oz/49850176

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_dithiophosphate

I may have to get a bottle to give it a try, however I would use only a quarter or half a bottle, due to the Smarts size, and the zinc and phosphorus possibly damaging the catalytic converter....
Use Rotella T6 oil instead ... it's cheap and contains all the zinc you will need...
My first 451 passed the 500 000km this summer and the owner told me he has been using T6 since the day i sold the car to him @ 80 000km

·
Registered
912 Posts
These engines don't have a history of camshaft and lifter problems. There's something of an occasional issue with burned exhaust valves, but ZDDP won't help that!

IMO save your money.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
These engines don't have a history of camshaft and lifter problems. There's something of an occasional issue with burned exhaust valves, but ZDDP won't help that!

IMO save your money.
ZDDP is good for flat tappets, I've heard... (Wiki notes old classic cars having issues with lower amounts...)

That said, even Wiki notes that levels aren't controlled/limited for 40W oil, of which I think 0W-40 qualifies. Researched this for another forum as I noted on there that I've switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 on all MB oil changes that I personally do. It has a "healthy" amount as I understand. (One can search the Mobil 1 website and information on the amount in ppm is listed. Of course I wasn't sure whether that was a lot/enough or not, a ppm is such a tiny amount...)

I have looked a the structure before, again from that same research. Sulfur, the thio part, of which there are 4 per molecule, is not good for the environment.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts