Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know :)

BUT ....

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set .....

Looking over Tirerack's selection and looking at the "reviews"...

Question ..... IF anyone knows, how reliable are the reviews....

I'm thinking that since they are compiled from customer "opinions" they should carry some pretty good weight as far as satisfaction ....

Specifically, I'm looking at the "star" ratings of 8 or higher ... am I thinking right ???? (NO, wise cracks Jet :D)

Let the flogging begin :p

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A review is an opinion based on a person's satisfaction with a product or service. That opinion is determined by that person's expectation and perception of said product or service.

In other words, it depends. (No help.) :)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A review is an opinion based on a person's satisfaction with a product or service. That opinion is determined by that person's expectation and perception of said product or service.

In other words, it depends. (No help.) :)
I'm aware of that :)

Here's my REAL question:

What do you guys think of either of these ???

General Altimax HP and General Altimax RT43

·
17,352 Posts
Haven't driven any vehicles with General tyres, but I do hear they make a good product for the price.

Of course, YMMV...Literally. :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Some sites are accused of salting their sites with reviews written for consideration (paid or compensated in some way). Since Tire Rack doesn't make the tires, there is a little more assurance of objectivity (they don't control the reviews). But, they do sell the product, so a bad review or series of bad reviews could leave them with inventory that won't move. Hmmm.

An alternative is to look for reviews on the same product from other sites. But I've done that and seen the same review show up on two or three sites. Not sure if this would suggest the same person complains or compliments in the exact same language on multiple sites or someone operating the various sites (or their 'bot) searches the net and copies the reviews. Or, the person who is reviewing for some form of compensation is reposting the review.

Sites like sCOA at least give you the ability to talk to the reviewer - Hey, Joe, did you REALLY love this product as much as you appeared to in your review? Or, Hey, Joe, it's six months since you wrote that review, do you still feel the same way you did when you wrote it?

The second winter I had my Rav4 (which would have been in 1998), I was having real issues with its handling on the snow. Not what I expected from all-wheel drive after a lifetime driving in snow country. I saw some discussions among Canadians complaining about the same problem. I thought, if I think I know snow, they KNOW SNOW. Their universal conclusion was the OEM Continental tires were the issue. I drove the Rav until I bought the smart in 2008, so checking for multiple reviews really matters.

Good luck. (And, I'm still not a fan of Continental tires.)

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Two thumbs up!

I'm aware of that :)

Here's my REAL question:

What do you guys think of either of these ???

General Altimax HP and General Altimax RT43

I have the 185/60 R15's General Altimax HP's on 2 of my 3 smarts, and a buddy of mine just picked up a set at the Tire Rack in South Bend, Indiana last Saturday. I have no complaints the tires give a much better ride than the stock tires did. They also have a great looking aggressive tread that works well in rain and snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts