Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did mine in black and red - pretty much a copy of CubeFX original design - with LED Halos. I left the clear lens off the turn signals when I reassembled the lights - shows off the chrome inside the turn signal housing and give it a unique look.

I sanded those things forever - and still did not get as smooth a finish as CubeFX - I am jealous of his workmanship!

Santa Michael

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yeah, I've been gone a long time... I came back because I just did this mod and I have a tip that is too good to not share. The part that I dreaded most about this project was sanding the chrome from the inside. Yuck.

My solution? I sprayed it with Easy-Off fume free oven cleaner, I set it in the sun for about 10 minutes, and the finish just wiped off with hot water and a sponge. No sanding whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
did you have to do anything special after using the easy-off besides hot water, sponge and a real good rinse??
Best looking tip ever!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
did you have to do anything special after using the easy-off besides hot water, sponge and a real good rinse??
Best looking tip ever!!
No other prep at all... The chrome just wipes right off. No sanding or scrubbing at all... Which is great for all of the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm set to do this mod this summer. I just have one question for you. Do you guys think I should paint my headlights in a glossy or a matte black? Can't really decide what I think look the best.

(My Smart is glossy black.)

- - - - Sorry my english. I'm from Denmark. - - - -

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a shout out for the help in this thread. That said, I needed new headlights anyway and did the oven cleaner trick. I bought TYC headlights, and to my surprise, the chrome paint was over the top of black housings. Didn't need to paint at all. Instead just buttoned up and put back on the car. Easier than trying to paint them, and probably much more durable.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just a shout out for the help in this thread. That said, I needed new headlights anyway and did the oven cleaner trick. I bought TYC headlights, and to my surprise, the chrome paint was over the top of black housings. Didn't need to paint at all. Instead just buttoned up and put back on the car. Easier than trying to paint them, and probably much more durable.
Fantastic. My TYC lights are about 2 weeks old and the passenger side low beam housing in lose already. I was going to just wedge a stick in it to fix it in place, I ran my last set three years wedged in place lol.. But now your post makes me want to go ahead and take them off as yours look fantastic what was the time frame for the oven spray to work.. Question on the yellow reflector I believe I want to leave mine in if possible and what method did you use to open them. I ordered a set of lens protector film for mine should have it on this weekend but I guess I will wait to do it all at once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fantastic. My TYC lights are about 2 weeks old and the passenger side low beam housing in lose already. I was going to just wedge a stick in it to fix it in place, I ran my last set three years wedged in place lol.. But now your post makes me want to go ahead and take them off as yours look fantastic what was the time frame for the oven spray to work.. Question on the yellow reflector I believe I want to leave mine in if possible and what method did you use to open them. I ordered a set of lens protector film for mine should have it on this weekend but I guess I will wait to do it all at once.
I just left the spray on there for about 10 minutes. You can leave the reflector in there, I just wanted to pull mine out.

Set your oven to 200 degrees, put a wet towel under the lights and throw them in there for 10 minutes. Take them out and start prying. If it doesn't work, throw them in there for another 5 until you get them apart. Real easy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
when I did mine I pre heated oven to 200 and used the wet towel method, then after only 5 minutes I was able to easily separate them with a plastic body tool. The only thing I noticed was that there was a lot of moisture everywhere, which might be a problem when re-assembling them. I really do not want moisture everywhere when assembling them. I am now looking for the specific paint which is on the Brabus lights.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts