Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
This is a very interesting statement. Again, please, with my respect for you:

This is premised on the "assumption" that some new gasoline emissions technology has come about and has been applied to the 2016 smart fortwo, something along the lines of a DPF for diesel, which would necessitate the creation of a new specification, in DPF's case a 229.51 specification category.

I would think they would apply the same technology to the new 2017 E-class.

I attach the 2017 E Class (US) manual for your reference:

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/MY17_E-Class_Sedan_Operator_Manual.pdf

and direct you to page 347

The specified oil for all gasoline models is 229.5, 229.6

If none of those are available, "a maximum of 1.1 US qt (1.0 L) once": 229.1, 229.3, or ACEA A3 (and this is 1.1 qt in a minimum 6.9 qt system)

My milder side that stated 229.51 would be fine in the M 281 for 1 year 10k miles is now switched to a feeling one should drain 229.51 and fill with the proper oil.
Well, I admire your tenacity with trying to find the 'AHA' moment with oil ratings. However, I really don't see any need to worry about the E-Class, or any other vehicles. There is no AHA moment because there is nothing wrong with using MB-Approval 229.51 or 229.53, or any oil that may not have the "MB-Approval" designation but will still suffice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been following this thread with much interest and some amusement. I hope I am able to change my own oil, and I admit I am not a professional. So all these 229 whatever designations mean NOTHING to me.

Brand. Weight. That's it.

Mobile 1 Syntethic 0w40? Yes? No?

KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Well, I admire your tenacity with trying to find the 'AHA' moment with oil ratings. However, I really don't see any need to worry about the E-Class, or any other vehicles. There is no AHA moment because there is nothing wrong with using MB-Approval 229.51 or 229.53, or any oil that may not have the "MB-Approval" designation but will still suffice.
I hope you're right, and I'm wrong. Customer satisfaction with the 453 is not something my job depends on, nor partially depends on. It doesn't affect a person who doesn't have a 453 in the first place either.

Best of luck to all you 453 owners...

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,698 Posts
ZBoater, I'm with you. This engine, like the 451 engine, is not made by Mercedes so I'm not sure why they impose their oil specs on it, but whatever. Any name brand synthetic oil, 0W40 or 5W40, should be perfectly fine for any gas powered smart. YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
ZBoater, I'm with you. This engine, like the 451 engine, is not made by Mercedes so I'm not sure why they impose their oil specs on it, but whatever. Any name brand synthetic oil, 0W40 or 5W40, should be perfectly fine for any gas powered smart. YMMV, of course. :)
Is anyone certain that your local smart dealer uses the so-called M-B spec'd oil? I'd almost bet they use oil in bulk and not necessarily spec'd. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
In 55 years of car ownership and changing my own oil/filter I have never had an engine issue despite the fact that I NEVER followed the manufacturers designation. Oils I have used were always selected based on quality and viscosity needs. My Benz cars have 134k and 160k on them and my Jeep has 119k. The engines are still going strong with no signs of failure.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
In 55 years of car ownership and changing my own oil/filter I have never had an engine issue despite the fact that I NEVER followed the manufacturers designation. Oils I have used were always selected based on quality and viscosity needs. My Benz cars have 134k and 160k on them and my Jeep has 119k. The engines are still going strong with no signs of failure.
I'm glad you're confident this applies for the 453. What was the HP/L ratio on those vehicles? My W123 had 300k plus miles on it when we stopped using it, on spec oil. It also was running strong. In fact I was using 229.5 oil because that spec is good for diesels without a DPF.

Might I dare say those older engines weren't working as hard....

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm glad you're confident this applies for the 453. What was the HP/L ratio on those vehicles? My W123 had 300k plus miles on it when we stopped using it, on spec oil. It also was running strong. In fact I was using 229.5 oil because that spec is good for diesels without a DPF.

Might I dare say those older engines weren't working as hard....

Your choice of oils has obviously worked for you and my choice has worked for me. A close friend of 50+ years has done the same as me and has put 200-300k miles on his cars with the same good results. We all make our choices and accept the results. Most folks will never put anywhere near that many miles on their cars before moving on to the next one. As far as older engines not being as hard working - that's just not the case. The 2.3L 4 cylinder in my 1977 works much harder than either my 451 or 453 engines. The '77 has been all over the U.S. and Canada numerous times. The 2.6L 6 cylinder in my 1990 works just as hard at speed as my smarts. Later, higher displacement and horsepower Benz engines may be less stressed, but not always. Oil choice is always a hot button topic and some folks get more stressed over it than I believe is necessary.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Your choice of oils has obviously worked for you and my choice has worked for me. A close friend of 50+ years has done the same as me and has put 200-300k miles on his cars with the same good results. We all make our choices and accept the results. Most folks will never put anywhere near that many miles on their cars before moving on to the next one. As far as older engines not being as hard working - that's just not the case. The 2.3L 4 cylinder in my 1977 works much harder than either my 451 or 453 engines. The '77 has been all over the U.S. and Canada numerous times. The 2.6L 6 cylinder in my 1990 works just as hard at speed as my smarts. Later, higher displacement and horsepower Benz engines may be less stressed, but not always. Oil choice is always a hot button topic and some folks get more stressed over it than I believe is necessary.

For me to personally believe this is true, that oil spec does not matter, I would have to throw away my perception of what the company developing the specification purpose of creating it in the first place. Dexos, on one hand, may be somewhat a money making scheme. The '10 CTS-V in the house has GM4718M spec oil, as far as I know only full synthetics, but the newer models list DEXOS, which many semi synthetics qualify for. I've read of people with later Vs trying to get full synthetic oil instead of the DEXOS because of this difference. In Mercedes' case I feel more convinced that it's a sincere effort to help protect a customer's investment.

On a side note if one thinks the Mercedes offerings are limited, go over to BMW USA and look up approved BMW oils. (There used to be about 4 LL-01s, Mobil 1 0W-40 used to be there, but no 5W-30 LL-01 existed beyond what BMW sold, or huge 55 gallon barrels (bulk) from Valvoline. Upon checking maybe a year ago they were back to two, or three maximum, different oils IIRC). I like to say Magnusson Moss is the reason BMW offers free maintenance during the warranty period because of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can somebody post the a current source for the USA 453 898cc turbo? I found getting to a dealer very hard to manage. Amazon did have it. Now all my searching I'm getting junk sites and air filters.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
An alternative is to call the parts department at a smart car service center. They can ship some basic 453 parts to you at counter price plus extra for shipping & handling.
Yea - The smart car dealer here is just one person. And the Mercedes Dealer the "Center" is part of, just gives out this guy's cell number when calling in. That's why I'm looking for web links.
:crying:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, West Covina has an a parts store on e-bay. It is: Genuine-MB-Sprinter-Smart-Parts Ebay Store. I think you can only pay with PayPal. Parts are discounted as well. You can also call the parts dept. directly. I am sure they will accommodate you and ship. Parts dept. phone # is: 1(626) 859-1210. They are also open on Sat. & Sun. but not a full day on Sun.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, West Covina has an a parts store on e-bay. It is: Genuine-MB-Sprinter-Smart-Parts Ebay Store. I think you can only pay with PayPal. Parts are discounted as well. You can also call the parts dept. directly. I am sure they will accommodate you and ship. Parts dept. phone # is: 1(626) 859-1210. They are also open on Sat. & Sun. but not a full day on Sun.
Might be good to provide a link to the eBay store. Hard to find "good" sellers on eBay sometimes.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Never mind. I was at a Church function and didn't notice you provided a seller name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 104 Posts