Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
17,479 Posts
It works by applying the brakes to individual wheels to correct the impacts of crosswinds. :)

Reactions: jwight

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Direct from smart:

Crosswind Assist assists the driver in the event of sudden gusts of wind:

Course-correcting brake intervention via esp®
Much less drifting off track, resulting in noticeably lower steering effort
Enhanced safety and comfort for the driver
Activated from a speed of 80 km/h during straight-ahead driving and in slight bends
:)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,566 Posts
On a 451, a four square tire and wheel set up will help a lot in handling and cross winds. I can't compare to a 453, because I have not had the pleasure to drive one yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
thats cool i wish we could upgrade our 451s

i wonder how the impact will be on brake life
Seriously you would rather have the car do the work then rely on driver skill? Sort of like having a pilot that is not stick and rudder but a checklist/autopilot flyer.......

I'll take driver skill over tech any day. Yeah tech can be useful but if it means loosing skills no thanks.

I find on my 451 Brabus the wide tires and skirts make a big difference in crosswinds, car is light and tall so it will get buffeted but both of these help a lot with a tradeoff being a much firmer ride due to the very low profile tires.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have a 451 and recently drove a 453 for 4 days while mine was in the shop. I didn't really care for the crosswind assist. It is noticeable on I-5, but it took away the "Driver feel" that I love so much about my 451. To me the 453 drove too much like any other car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
17,479 Posts
Seriously you would rather have the car do the work then rely on driver skill? Sort of like having a pilot that is not stick and rudder but a checklist/autopilot flyer.......
Well I mean, not following the checklist could lead to fiery death (as the aviation industry had learned in the past the hard way), so my airline pilot better follow that checklist...

Also remember, with every advancement in safety technology we get safer roads. This safety tech isn't designed to cater to folks who have no issues fighting crosswinds, but folks who do.

And I'll admit, here in Chicago (and also Wisconsin, too) there have been a few days where the crosswinds were so strong my 451's wheel was ripped right out of my hands and the car was blown into the lane to the right. One of those times, the wind gusted so hard I was blown into the right lane and the truck in front of me completely toppled over and spilled its guts. Apparently the expressway remained closed for the whole day because all the trucks who couldn't get through the corridor without turning over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts